Red cedar??
(07-22-2023, 12:07 AM)hbmcc Wrote: With the exception of Cedrus libani, Cedar of Lebanon, I have pretty much seen and used most of the cedars. Most can be a dermal and respiratory irritant to some people. It's like English Ivy which I find very irritating. I keep thinking I got into poison ivy. Surprised?

Woods that are called "cedar" seem to be defined by being softwood / lightweight / smelly / durable. Not necessarily a close relationship. The smell and irritant effect are related to the natural durability, they contain all sorts of interesting chemicals and oils that discourage bugs and fungus that would attack many other woods. 

Here in NZ we don't have any native "cedar" species, but introduced trees grow well. I've milled some Port Orford cedar, and the wife refuses to handle it (green) as it gives her a headache. Deodar cedar is another interesting one, and Japanese Cedar (Sugi) grows well locally. I've not worked with it yet, and the local trees will be smaller farm shelter trees, not any sort of "old growth" magic stuff.