A turning question
Is it more fun when you start a piece and your gouge goes from "Chunka Chunka Chunka" to "Ssssssss" or when you put on the first coat of sealer / finish and you get the first glimpse of what everybody else will see in the grain?

Its a tie for me. Getting down to round makes all the work to that point worth it but seeing the grain pop out is why I'm there at all.

How about you?
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
i think for me the best part is when i see a shape that i'm really happy with.  it's usually in my head, but when i see it, it's like  --  yep, there it is!  
Yes

i do like when the finish is on and looks great, i'm just not a huge fan of the process.  that actually goes for most woodworking stuff . . . for me at least.
That "I got it" moment for me, is when I am pleased with the uniform thickness of a bowl.  Right now, my favorite shape is the cuspidor; so it presents a challenge at my skill level.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Things that make me the happiest about turning

1. the first few cuts from the chunka chunka to round
2. the tool doing what I want (which is not necessarily what I told it to do)
3. the piece looking the way I intended it to look, after the first or second attempt. I have learned lots of creative ways to recover from mistakes.

I know the worst is when it goes Chunka Chunka Chunka to blam.

I love the whole process of turning.  I put a chunk of wood on and move it around until i find what would look best even if i could have turned something large and got something small in the process i still got the best the wood offered.

After all these years I still love sanding feeling it go from rough to silky smooth and all the grits inbetween i love running my hands over the piece I am working on.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
When someone buys your stuff!
VH07V  
(06-27-2023, 03:03 PM)EightFingers Wrote: When someone buys your stuff!

can't disagree with that!  
Laugh
(06-27-2023, 03:03 PM)EightFingers Wrote: When someone buys your stuff!

+1 on that.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.