Painting over oil based wood trim
So most of the interior wood trim (base boards door ways etc) has oil based paint on it.

Is there a paint that makes repainting easier now? Really dont want to use oil based again. Quick drying easy clean up would be great

Or am I dreaming?
(06-27-2023, 08:14 AM)Wipedout Wrote: So most of the interior wood trim (base boards door ways etc) has oil based paint on it.

Is there a paint that makes repainting easier now?  Really dont want to use oil based again. Quick drying easy clean up would be great

Or am I dreaming?

You can apply latex paint over any base.  Of course, adhesion is always a concern, so prep. is important.  First, clean it really well, then sand it lightly to remove any gloss and nibs.  The sanding will reveal any dents and you can decide whether or not to fill them.  The best job will result from using a bonding primer before applying the paint of your choice.  

Seal-Grip bonding primer by PPG works really well over oil based paint, and is available at HD.  For topcoat, my personal choice is SW's ProClassic Acrylic.  Goes on great with a brush, flows out nicely, dries quickly, and is pretty durable.  Even easier to apply is SW's Emerald Urethane Trim Enamel, but it takes a lot longer to dry and cure.  

John
Latex can cover oil base.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

Wash it and then sand it or scuff it with red ScotchBrite. Pet peeve of mine.. lack of prep. Every layer of paint over dirt just keeps getting uglier.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Easiest and fastest way is to cover with shellac based primer, then paint.

No need to sand and you can tint the primer to the final coat color.
The last time I used shellac based primer I thought my house was going to explode. Wow! Even with windows open that is some strong smelling stuff.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
(07-01-2023, 09:36 AM)Woodenfish Wrote: The last time I used shellac based primer I thought my house was going to explode. Wow! Even with windows open that is some strong smelling stuff.

It's just alcohol.  Not to worry.  

John
(06-29-2023, 05:45 PM)K. L. McReynolds Wrote: No need to sand…

How can say this without seeing what he has.
When refinishing after others, I’d say I’ve never seen old paint that didn’t need sanding before being repainted because the previous work looked like crap!
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Just so we're all on the same page here:  latex over oil is fine.  Oil over latex is NOT good, right?  The latex needs to pass moisture that the oil-based paint will seal in as I understand it.
(07-02-2023, 10:13 AM)Gary G™ Wrote: How can say this without seeing what he has.
When refinishing after others, I’d say I’ve never seen old paint that didn’t need sanding before being repainted because the previous work looked like crap!

The sanding is to promote adhesion in this case as much as to smooth out any flaws.  Latex will peel off really easy if it doesn’t have anything to bond to……….like a smooth , non-porous molding.