Locust wood turning and sheink wrap
I have a couple of questions for those who do a lot of turning.
     1) Has anyone tried wrapping green logs with shrink wrap to preserve them until they can be turned?? I came into some cherry, sycamore, and ash logs I want to turn this winter. It's been some time since I had a chance to turn anything.
     2) I am cutting down a large Locust tree, the kind with the monster thorns. ( ouch ) Better than 24 inches at the base. How does Locust turn, green and after the drying process. ie: rough turn, soak in denatured alcohol, wrap in construction paper, and slowly dry, then re-turn.
     3) lastly, if anyone wants a piece of this thorny tree and live close to Edwardsville/ Holiday Shores, IL. you are welcome to have a chunk. Thorn free, of course.
Smile . Otherwise it will wind up as fire wood of some sort.
Best wishes,
Ron
BontzSawWorks.net
I used anchorseal to minimize wood cracking. I would not use shrink wrap because of mold issues.
Locust is a pretty wood to turn, but it’s really hard, really really hard. You’ll need to sharpen your tools often.
VH07V  
i've had good luck with some slightly thinned-down white glue and brushing that on the ends.

if i'm thinking of the right stuff, like was said, locust is very hard stuff, but can be really pretty with some real interesting grain.  also, again if i'm thinking of the right stuff, i think it's got sort of a kinda weird chemically smell to it.  not terrible, just different.
(06-29-2023, 04:39 PM)arthropod98 Wrote: i've had good luck with some slightly thinned-down white glue and brushing that on the ends.

if i'm thinking of the right stuff, like was said, locust is very hard stuff, but can be really pretty with some real interesting grain.  also, again if i'm thinking of the right stuff, i think it's got sort of a kinda weird chemically smell to it.  not terrible, just different.

Yeah. My 24" chain saw said it was hard too. More so than the white oak I cut afterwards.
Thanks for the mold heads up.
BontzSawWorks.net
i was just checking out some pics, and i THINK what i might have had was black locust burl  --  the grain on the smallish pieces i had was all over the place, and it was very hard.  it definitely did have a chemical smell to it though, so that's why i'm not totally sure that's what it was.  but, after the stuff was finished up with a real nice shine, it was very cool looking.  
Yes