Oil on teak
I accidentally spilled a few drops of chain saw oil on a teak table I’m restoring for a friend. I tried using denatured alcohol on it and the stain is still there. Any suggestions to get it out?
It's time for the patriots to stand up!
Dry teak can be very good about soaking up oils.

I hope you get a good solution to your problem as posted. I will be hoping to be shown hot to work better.

Failing that, a light coating of a finishing oil might make the color uniform and you can put whatever finish you want over it once it dries. Essentially, you would be doing an oil stain for coloring.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Try covering the oily spots with cornstarch. It might help draw it out. Change out the cornstarch for fresh after it has absorbed some of the oil.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
(06-30-2023, 07:32 PM)Woodenfish Wrote: Try covering the oily spots with cornstarch. It might help draw it out. Change out the cornstarch for fresh after it has absorbed some of the oil.

I tried it and it didn't work.  I'm hoping that sanding it again will help.  

Jeff
Teak is very oily to begin with, so if it's dry it's going to suck it right up.

If you're talking about bar oil, you could probably sand the entire surface and very lightly rub in a uniform coat of bar oil. That's probably the only way you're going to be able to make it uniform. Bar oil is very thick (basically 20W50 motor oil) and you aren't going to find anything that will be equivalent, at least nothing intended for wood. Given the nature of teak you might be able to have only that small amount penetrate and still be able to use a natural oil on top.
Mineral spirits is a good solvent for chainsaw oil.  It may take several wipings/soakings, but it will remove it or at least enough of it that it won't be nearly as visible.  If what remains is still too unsightly, then you might consider oiling the whole top with a product designed for teak.   

John
(07-03-2023, 01:18 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Mineral spirits is a good solvent for chainsaw oil.  It may take several wipings/soakings, but it will remove it or at least enough of it that it won't be nearly as visible.  If what remains is still too unsightly, then you might consider oiling the whole top with a product designed for teak.   

John

I’ll try the mineral spirits and see if it works. It can’t hurt. I’m taking it over to a cabinet shop to run it through a wide belt sander. Fingers crossed.