Advice on finishing
I have some Poplar (5’x 9”x 1½”) that will be a bar top in my BBQ shelter. I want to route in the names of the friends that helped me build the shelter. I am mobility challenged. What sequence of dyes, stains, and weather protection should I apply? I know Poplar does not stain well.

Bill
(06-30-2023, 11:32 PM)GEB Wrote: I have some Poplar (5’x 9”x 1½”) that will be a bar top in my BBQ shelter. I want to route in the names of the friends that helped me build the shelter. I am mobility challenged. What sequence of dyes, stains, and weather protection should I apply? I know Poplar does not stain well.

Bill

If you are using yellow poplar, it stains great.  It has lousy weather resistance, however, so that's going to be a problem if the wood will be exposed to rain, snow, etc.  

Dyes are not suitable for long term use outdoors as they will fade.  Just use exterior rated stains.  

John
(07-01-2023, 09:43 AM)jteneyck Wrote: If you are using yellow poplar, it stains great.  It has lousy weather resistance, however, so that's going to be a problem if the wood will be exposed to rain, snow, etc.  

Dyes are not suitable for long term use outdoors as they will fade.  Just use exterior rated stains.  

John

Thanks, John
I will find some Western Red Cedar.
Bill