Electrical box question (was damaged)
So my neighbor hired someone to do some work on her house, and when they were removing a lift they hit the electrical box on the outside of my house (I'm not sure of the terminology.  Most of my electrical knowledge is dealing with stuff inside the house.  I know a bit about the breaker panel.  This is outside my wheelhouse). 

This thing:

The round gauge was hit towards the part farthest from the wall.  Right to left.  It definitely deformed the box some.

The bottom doesn't close all the way, but the box still seems to be attached to the wall.  No idea on the inside (I can tell just by looking at it that everything inside is live, as my whole house breaker is downstream from this.  I'm not going to open this).  I can see that the ground is still attached at the top.

Three other views.  I don't think the box attached to the wall moved judging be the sealant (this all seems to be in the same condition around the box), it seems that the brunt was taken by the door.

So what level of concern should I have with this?

A) Egads that is bad.  Get an electrician out there now.
B) Probably is fine, but might want to have an electrician come look at it.  But no reason to pay weekend/holiday rates.
C) Doesn't matter, it's fine.

And the power in the house seems fine.  No flicker of the lights or anything when it happened.

Also, if I need to have someone look at it is this typical electrician work, or do I need to get the city/power provider involved since it is prior to my whole house breaker?

Thanks in advance.

I think the meter belongs to the power company.   I'd call them if you're concerned.
Who ever hit it is responsible for it.  They should have insurance to cover it
(07-02-2023, 05:26 AM)KC Wrote: I think the meter belongs to the power company.   I'd call them if you're concerned.
Have the power company come out and check the meter box out. Looks like the cover on the meter is cracked.   It doesn't need to be checked today but my concerns are the meter terminal blocks which the meter plugs into are plastic.   If they are broken but staying in place now, no problem until someone goes to remove the meter and the line wires are still attached and goes to ground and it shorts out .   Roly
Tell your neighbour that you are contacting the power company and reporting a damaged meter base caused by her contractor. Normal business hours, call it in to the power company’s trouble call number. They may ask for an email report including pictures. It’s definitely not a panic situation but get it sorted quickly so you don’t end up on the hook for it.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

I'd expect a new meter.

I just had new service installed at my shop/barn (different property than my house) 2 years ago. I was responsible for buying and installing the meter (hiring licensed electrician to do it)...so every location may be different.

Certainly start with power company for your first call though. If it needs to be done privately, I would pick my electrician not let the other contractors say "we'll send someone over"...unless you agree on who that will be and the electric company inspects it.

Did the neighbor/contractor tell you about it? Always easier if you've already had that conversation...
I also would call the electric company. My impression is they handle everything up to that box, after that is the customer's responsibility. Also why they have the little tags to know if it's been tampered with.

I called the electric company with what I considered a nuisance or just an inquiry, not an emergency. They came out the same day, within an hour or two.
Every town I lived in, customer is responsible for everything from the weather head to the house. POCO provides the meter.
VH07V  
(07-03-2023, 12:08 AM)EightFingers Wrote: Every town I lived in, customer is responsible for everything from the weather head to the house. POCO provides the meter.

Here too. The utility stops at the meter box if it's an underground feed and the utility stops at the mast if an overhead feed. The meter itself is the utility company's
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(07-02-2023, 05:06 PM)blackhat Wrote: Tell your neighbour that you are contacting the power company and reporting a damaged meter base caused by her contractor. Normal business hours, call it in to the power company’s trouble call number. They may ask for an email report including pictures. It’s definitely not a panic situation but get it sorted quickly so you don’t end up on the hook for it.

What he said.  They hit the meter, which belongs to the power company.  You need to call the PoCo and report it.