So much for dust collection
I started my day with the first picture. I finally got my Moravian bench bottom glued together and getting every thing flushed up, corners rounded over for easier handling, and ready to finish the bottom

The rest of my day

This is how I finished my day working on the 2 dovetailed stretchers

So what am I trying to say, that I am against dust collectors and air cleaners? No, I have 6 dust collectors and 2 air cleaners and I have found that I can not collect 100% of the dust and chips at any machine. I have gone mostly to battery powered sanders and small routers and if I do not want to be connected by a cord then I figure I do not want to be connected to a vac. Some times a broom and dust pan are good enough

Tom
Larger chips aren't a problem. Plane shavings, for example, are no big deal.

I have a problem with a) large volumes and b) fine dust. For the first part, dust collection is hooked up to the table saw (mine's old and entry level and works poorly), the planer, the jointer (not really a dust problem), and the drum sander when I use it.

For the second part, that's usually with sanding. I use a regular shop vacuum, though sometimes the attached bag or dust collection is sufficient. Routing edge profiles can be a pain, depending on the wood. I will usually wear a mask or respirator (like an RZ type) and just vacuum after. You can't really get good dust collection on a router anyway, not handheld. But the table does get dust collection when it's in use.

I think on the whole it's important to have dust collection for larger machines (like the planer) that see a lot of use and create a lot of waste. Beyond that, air cleaners are almost an absolute necessity to keep the dust level down. I use one of the ceiling-mounted boxes and it collects a surprising amount of dust. I'm actually thinking about another one or two just to help keep dust down. That's the stuff that really bothers your lungs.
(07-05-2023, 08:58 AM)FS7 Wrote: Larger chips aren't a problem. Plane shavings, for example, are no big deal.

I have a problem with a) large volumes and b) fine dust. For the first part, dust collection is hooked up to the table saw (mine's old and entry level and works poorly), the planer, the jointer (not really a dust problem), and the drum sander when I use it.

For the second part, that's usually with sanding. I use a regular shop vacuum, though sometimes the attached bag or dust collection is sufficient. Routing edge profiles can be a pain, depending on the wood. I will usually wear a mask or respirator (like an RZ type) and just vacuum after. You can't really get good dust collection on a router anyway, not handheld. But the table does get dust collection when it's in use.

I think on the whole it's important to have dust collection for larger machines (like the planer) that see a lot of use and create a lot of waste. Beyond that, air cleaners are almost an absolute necessity to keep the dust level down. I use one of the ceiling-mounted boxes and it collects a surprising amount of dust. I'm actually thinking about another one or two just to help keep dust down. That's the stuff that really bothers your lungs.

similar here.  I built one of these, and really like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOecQZZR5kA&t=313s

high flow, casters, and bench height mean that the dust that gets missed by other collectors is captured quickly by this one.
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13
(07-06-2023, 08:44 AM)FireWood Wrote: similar here.  I built one of these, and really like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOecQZZR5kA&t=313s

high flow, casters, and bench height mean that the dust that gets missed by other collectors is captured quickly by this one.
It looks like a good collector. And if you are happy with it good, but it did not get all the dust that was being produced. How much did you spend for something that didn't get it all when actually the mess on my bench was swept up with a handled brush and a dust pan. Again i think that something like that would come in handy but it is not the answer to all dust problems. I am sure your shop needs are different than mine.

I talked with my doctor the other day. He said that the medical profession, the people selling sun blockers and the news media have done a good job of making people afraid to be in the sun for any length of time without sun screen. The only way a person gets vitamin D2 naturally is to be in the sun. Which people are now afraid to be in the sun because they might get skin cancer and now he is writing a lot of prescriptions for D2. Who is profiting? 
The people selling something. Not the person that has been made afraid. 

Bags that come on sanders, I am guessing get at least 95% of the dust produced if not more and yet we ale led to believe we need to have a vacuum hooked to it and  I selling just what you need. Natural protection from the sun is called a sun tan and the body also has natural protection from all forms of dust. One can always find an exception usually called over doing it.

So My question is where is the line drawn?  When is it okay to let the shaving from a plate jointed go on the floor? I will bet that more dust escapes when I clean my shop vac filters than  escapes my filter on my sander. 

I do the best I can with machinery but I draw the line and collecting it at hand held machinery, For that it is called a broom and dust pan, I I don't worry about it. 

I will add, that I did post this on another forum, and one person said he uses a leaf blower to blow it out. I can't blow it out but I can use a couple of box fans with filters in the intake side, to collect the dust in the air. I do not have a problem using a respirator in real dusty areas. I think this will help with the fine layer of dust I do have and make it a lot cleaner so I am glad I wrote this post.

Moral of the story is to take marketing with a grain of salt when buying something for your woodworking hobby.

Tom
(07-06-2023, 01:14 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: Moral of the story is to take marketing with a grain of salt when buying something for your woodworking hobby.

Tom

Agree.   I've been at this for 20+ years before I decided to get a shop air filter.

I usually work with maple or cherry, and the dust from those doesn't bother me.  Lately I've been doing a lot with pine and walnut, and those dusts make my sinuses swell up in a most uncomfortable manner.  So now I have a filter!
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13
Mark Galicic, sawyer on Youtube, often says:[url=https://www.youtube.com/@markgalicic7788][/url]

"Sawdust is Man Glitter"

Some days I really shine 
Laugh
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)