Can't do overlapping with alcohol dye
(07-14-2023, 07:45 PM)jteneyck Wrote: You do it as I said.  Take your sponge saturated with the dye and wipe it on liberally.  Some flows off the edges, but not a lot.  In this case, you don't care if some gets on the bottom because it won't show.  Ring out the sponge and wipe off the excess.  It dries as you see it.  This really isn't rocket science.  

Practice.  But if you are convinced it can't be done with the alcohol based dyes available to you, although I'm not sure why you can't buy Transtint through Amazon or directly from Homestead Finishing, then move on to water based dyes.  You might be surprised how good it looks after you apply the final finish.  With Transtint the color looks better to me when I use water to dilute it.  

John

Transtint is not easy to get here, and pricey because of customs. Liberon is easier and cheaper. Maybe I should try a different brand indeed. 

I will record a video how I try to do it and you can tell me what I am doing wrong. But not at the moment because I used all my waste for testing.

However methods where there is flow at hidden places are not good for me this time. Most of the time as I mentioned, I paint objects that are all sides visible. Tool handles, instruments, etc. All these methods we mentioned in this topic, I know they work if it is a one side painting. Unfortunately I did not do any project like that for ages. So I need to find methods where it is possible to control flow with ease, or avoid overlapping if not flooded. Applying with paper towel seems to be the best method for me so far, but sometimes even that way there is some uncontrollable accumulation of the dye on edges.
(07-18-2023, 08:43 AM)Bencuri Wrote: Transtint is not easy to get here, and pricey because of customs. Liberon is easier and cheaper. Maybe I should try a different brand indeed. 

I will record a video how I try to do it and you can tell me what I am doing wrong. But not at the moment because I used all my waste for testing.

However methods where there is flow at hidden places are not good for me this time. Most of the time as I mentioned, I paint objects that are all sides visible. Tool handles, instruments, etc. All these methods we mentioned in this topic, I know they work if it is a one side painting. Unfortunately I did not do any project like that for ages. So I need to find methods where it is possible to control flow with ease, or avoid overlapping if not flooded. Applying with paper towel seems to be the best method for me so far, but sometimes even that way there is some uncontrollable accumulation of the dye on edges.

If you have recesses, spraying is the only way to prevent dye from getting into them.  Even then, you have to be careful not to spray any excess dye or it will seep into them.  

John