Slope between properties
My neighbors lot is about 2 feet higher than mine and he is regrading his property and has created a slope between our properties.  Can he end the slope right at the property line or is there some kind of set back where the slope has to end on his property?
Thanks
(07-13-2023, 11:59 AM)dwg Wrote: My neighbors lot is about 2 feet higher than mine and he is regrading his property and has created a slope between our properties.  Can he end the slope right at the property line or is there some kind of set back where the slope has to end on his property?
Thanks

He is responsible for drainage of his property and he can't use your property to do it. Not sure about the jurisdiction have authority in your area. Around here, 1 call to the county concerning improper drainage/grading and they'll come out and make him do it right.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

In my neck of the woods, he could - and probably would - put up a retaining wall using blocks . . . but, he is still responsible for the water on his side of the wall.
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
Was there no "slope" before the "regrading"? What was it like before the work?

Where I live, he could do what he wants on his side of the line.
(07-13-2023, 11:59 AM)dwg Wrote: My neighbors lot is about 2 feet higher than mine and he is regrading his property and has created a slope between our properties.  Can he end the slope right at the property line or is there some kind of set back where the slope has to end on his property?
Thanks

gotta contact your local building dept to get the answer.
It will be different who to call depending on where you are, here at my place the County Engineer has jurisdiction over drainage issues.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
If his property is 2 feet higher than your's then there is already a slope to your property.
Thanks for all the replys...guess i'll have to inquire with someone at the city/county.  For what its worth before the regrading there was a slope from his property to mine but it ended about 5 feet on his side of the property line.
Well – I guess it depends a bit on how friendly/cordial you want to be with your neighbor!

I developed RE for over 30 years and the general rule of thumb is the downslope property (owner) typically “owns” the slope (i.e., the downslope property owners property line is usually the TOP of slope). From what you have described your neighbor built the slope on his/her property and so the BOTTOM of slope is your property line. Here is the problem with that (at least for your neighbor) - they cannot drain (water – or anything else for that matter) across your property.

So, unless they have secured a drainage easement across YOUR property for THERE drainage they have a problem – it’s called trespassing.
If the slope was there before it is a natural water way