florescent lights - troubleshooting
four lights [two tubes in each] in basement, controlled by one switch.
one is sporadic...sometimes the two tubes light; other times I have to turn one tube a fraction to get them on.
Seems I don't need new tubes??
Suggestions?
Got me, but I've been slowly converting all my florescent lights to LED; buying "Type B" LED tubes and direct wiring, thus eliminating the need for a ballast. But your issue sounds like a ballast issue.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Have you noticed any loud hums or buzzing?  If so, I think there's a ballast issue.

If you just need to turn one of the tubes a little bit, I'd say it's a connection issue on one end with one of the "tombstones"...that plastic thingy on the end which the tube electrodes go into.  Some fluorescent fixtures require that both tubes have a good connection for either one of them to illuminate.

If one of the tombstones is bad, or if you can't get it to consistently make a good connection, it might be time to plan your migration away from fluorescent to LED fixtures.  IMHO, new LED fixtures are so cost effective now that it doesn't make sense to fuss with old fluorescent fixtures for very long, or perhaps at all.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
(07-13-2023, 02:28 PM)Admiral Wrote: Got me, but I've been slowly converting all my florescent lights to LED; buying "Type B" LED tubes and direct wiring, thus eliminating the need for a ballast.    But your issue sounds like a ballast issue.

we did this a few years ago . . . definitely the way to go, IMHO.  also, nice and easy.  a little bit of wiring, but nothing difficult  --  kept same tombstones and everything.  
Yes
I agree switch to LED when fluorescents are going bad. If you want to test bulbs vs ballast swap the bulbs in the finicky fixture with ones from a good fixture.
if ya aren't looking to switch over just yet, this sounds like an issue with the tombstones almost.  i do think the double-pin twisty styles are sorta spring-loaded where it contacts the bulbs, so possibly an issue with that, or maybe the wire connection to the tombstones.
(07-13-2023, 02:02 PM)varkpilot Wrote: four lights [two tubes in each] in basement, controlled by one switch.
one is sporadic...sometimes the two tubes light; other times I have to turn one tube a fraction to get them on.
Seems I don't need new tubes??
Suggestions?

Try turning the bulb around end for end.
John T.
agreed on the LED, but to your question, look at 4replacing the tombstones (things the bulbs twist into) before you replace ballasts.
“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

- Winnie the Pooh, as relayed through Author A. A. Milne