Securing handrail to concrete stairs question.
I am going to install a handrail on a set of stairs.  I can either use wedge anchors (like below) or threaded rod with epoxy. Is either method better?
Thanks.

I think it depends on how close the bolts would be to the edges of the concrete. The wedge style might put enough pressure on the concrete to crack away the edges. Also, depending on where you are, you might want to consider using stainless steel.
The only issue with the wedge anchors is if your hole is slightly too big, sometimes they don't grab when tightening. I've never tone the epoxy thing.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

I faced a similar task a few years ago, I used tapcons. Worked perfectly. Just make sure they are long enough, need to embed the screw at least 1 inch.
(07-16-2023, 02:13 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: The only issue with the wedge anchors is if your hole is slightly too big, sometimes they don't grab when tightening. I've never tone the epoxy thing.

If you go the epoxy route, clean out any loose material from hole.   Use a bore brush or something to clean the walls of the hole.   We used it on much larger anchors  1" 1.25" .
 The epoxy will keep out water.   Roly
I used epoxy once on railings for a set of concrete steps at my daughter's house.  That was probably 10 years ago.  They are still rock solid.  I've never used those wedge anchors in that application, so I don't know how they compare.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

I'd have to say that epoxy, done correctly, would be "better". Now the wedge anchors would probably suffice.
i'd go epoxy too . . . that's what we used to anchor our diving board.  
Big Grin
Retired now from 42 years as a Millwright, used those anchors as pictured successfully throughout the entire time . Tip- use same Company ( example- Hilti) recommended Drill Bit not another Drill Bit labeled Masonry, drill 1/2” deeper than what you figure depth and blow out concrete dust from hole. The small squeeze blow bottle does well for most diameter holes .
Your stairs project 5/16” diameter most likely perfect .
If you drill too close to concrete edges you’re doomed no matter what for concrete to break. Small residential job Masonry Bit with epoxy should provide excellent results and sort of be enjoyable to do.
Good luck , go slow and think out each Hole and you’ll hit a home run on your project.
What the Heck, Give it a Try
(07-16-2023, 10:58 AM)dwg Wrote: I am going to install a handrail on a set of stairs.  I can either use wedge anchors (like below) or threaded rod with epoxy. Is either method better?
Thanks.

I’ve used the Red Head anchors (like pictured) to attach new bottom plates to pre-existing concrete slabs without any problems.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.