Non-yellowing WB finish for dining table?
I don't consider either of the Zinsser products as "blonde". And, yes, dewaxed would be best. For "blonde" shellac, was thinking more in terms of dewaxed blonde flakes like those sold by such as https://www.shellac.net.
Will pick up a rattle can of shellac for a sealer coat. Will try on some scrap, hopefully it pops the grain a little more than poly alone. BTW, elected to go with multiple coats GF High Performance, primarily for durability.

Thanks, Gary
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
(07-24-2023, 06:14 AM)shoottmx Wrote: Will pick up a rattle can of shellac for a sealer coat. Will try on some scrap, hopefully it pops the grain a little more than poly alone. BTW, elected to go with multiple coats GF High Performance, primarily for durability.

Thanks, Gary

Rattle can shellac will tint the color towards pink, not much, but it will.  I even tried GF's or MinWax's WB sanding sealer trying to get an absolutely water clear finish.  Nope, that tinted it slightly red, too.  I ended up using High Performance alone.  That was the only way to get the water clear result I was after.  I hate going that approach because it raises the grain, but that shouldn't be much a problem with your maple.  I'd still pre-raise the grain to help minimize it and save yourself some extra sanding and maybe get away with one less coat of finish.  

If you are applying this by brush and you get some ridges because it sets up too quickly, then add a few percent of GF's Extender.  It will increase the open time before the finish sets up.  

John
Thanks John,
I just picked up a can today, will try it on some scrap. LOML is the final arbiter of color so we'll do whatever she likes. Thanks for the tip on using GF extender.

The material is well acclimated been in my temp and humidity controlled shop for 6 years. I'm thinking I can put several coats on one side in a day, let cure for 2 days, flip it onto a terry cloth towel, then do the same to that side. Rinse and repeat until it has 8 -10 coats. Whaddya think?

Thanks, Gary

(07-24-2023, 04:48 PM)shoottmx Wrote: Thanks John,
I just picked up a can today, will try it on some scrap. LOML is the final arbiter of color so we'll do whatever she likes. Thanks for the tip on using GF extender.

The material is well acclimated been in my temp and humidity controlled shop for 6 years. I'm thinking I can put several coats on one side in a day, let cure for 2 days, flip it onto a terry cloth towel, then do the same to that side. Rinse and repeat until it has 8 -10 coats. Whaddya think?

Thanks, Gary

I think 4 or 5 coats will be plenty, but how it looks will tell you.  I can't remember ever spraying more than 3 coats of HP on something.  Maybe brushing takes more coats; not sure.  

I'd flip it every 2 coats.  

John
LOML likes the GF HP without the sealcoat of shellac. Will flip every two coats.

The plan is in place, time to execute!
gary