4H Project- Waterfall Bookcase
Just wanted to brag on my son for completing his 4H Fair project- a waterfall bookcase. Credit to my wife for picking the plans, it's not something I would have picked but I like the finished product a lot. It is made of mahogany, with a dye stain/ shellac finish, and has a dovetailed drawer (machine cut).

Very nice. Your son will have a skill that will last a life time.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
I thought I was the only one to use saw guides as clamps.

Great project and great son.
Congrats to both of you!
(07-20-2023, 01:09 PM)DieselDennis Wrote: I thought I was the only one to use saw guides as clamps.

Great project and great son.

Funny you mention that- I own A LOT of clamps but the bookcase is 32" wide and I don't have that many long clamps. Something I didn't think about until the glue was drying so I had to improvise. I have some pipe clamps and longer pipe sections I keep around in case of emergency but they are in the utility closet behind the wall of plywood you see in the photo and I didn't have time to dig them out before it was too late, so saw guides to the rescue.
What a great job your son did, light years better than my 4H woodworking project.  I had to look 3 times to figure out why it's called a waterfall bookcase.  I can't say I've ever seen one like it, but I like the design and see how practical it is for storage of books of different widths.  

John
(07-20-2023, 12:25 PM)ajkoontz Wrote: Just wanted to brag on my son for completing his 4H Fair project- a waterfall bookcase. Credit to my wife for picking the plans, it's not something I would have picked but I like the finished product a lot. It is made of mahogany, with a dye stain/ shellac finish, and has a dovetailed drawer (machine cut).

I like it that you're teaching him not to be a clamp 'snob'. 
Wink 

All different types come in handy!

I like that design as well.  Fits books/stuff of different size properly.
Wow! Very nice. I wish I had started woodworking that young

Kudos to the wife for picking the plans.  Great design...I had not heard of "waterfall cabinet".  I'm a Texan, I know about bragging.  Bragging is overstating the facts.  From where I sit, you are not bragging.

Congratulations to all three of you!
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Likewise, great job by all, but especially your son.

Was this a commercial plan?  I like the look so much I might be interested in making my own.

Mark
Mark in Sugar Land, TX