Re-homing bumblebees/nests
Next door neighbor has a bumblebee nest in the ground near his mailbox. (Yes, the fat, fuzzy bumblebee, not to be confused with a honeybee/yellowjacket/wasp/hornet/cicada killer).
I have always thought of these bees to be pretty harmless, however, he is allergic and has already been stung by one.
Are there any tried and true methods to, no-so-much kill them but to, persuade them to find a new home?
TIA
Contact a local bee keeper- they should be able to help you.I have never heard of honey bed doing the underground thing.

Funny, I've never condsidered bumblebees to be docile, more like a pit bull. That said, they are pollinators so i generally leave them alone. But I'm not sure there is a way to relocate an underground nest, a beekeeper may have some input but I suspect your neighbor will either have to exterminate the nest or be very careful when he goes to the mailbox.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Initially I was thinking beekeeper, but I guess I associated them with honeybees, not bumblebees...
Thanks
Backhoe
VH07V  
(07-25-2023, 02:26 PM)brianwelch Wrote: Are there any tried and true methods to, no-so-much kill them but to, persuade them to find a new home?
TIA

Like writing them a stern letter? 
Laugh
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
Sorry, bumblebee, not spelling bee <grin>
Consider relocating them to heaven.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

brianwelch,

The link below is to information about bumble bees and contains some information about discouraging them from nesting and encouraging them to move on.

It suggests sprinkling cinnamon around the nest or putting a moth ball or two close to the nest.

They only get defensive when the nest is threatened so you or your neighbor may want to do this after dark since the bees do not fly in the dark. BUT they do crawl so use caution. Don't use a bright white flashlight....they will come to it, use a red light if you have one.

https://beeswiki.com/bumblebee-nest/

TonyC
woodworker and beekeeper
(07-29-2023, 10:12 AM)ilikewoodinsc Wrote: brianwelch,

The link below is to information about bumble bees and contains some information about discouraging them from nesting and encouraging them to move on.

It suggests sprinkling cinnamon around the nest or putting a moth ball or two close to the nest.

They only get defensive when the nest is threatened so you or your neighbor may want to do this after dark since the bees do not fly in the dark. BUT they do crawl so use caution. Don't use a bright white flashlight....they will come to it, use a red light if you have one.

https://beeswiki.com/bumblebee-nest/

TonyC
woodworker and beekeeper
Thank you!