Ever make a cribbage board?
SWMBO and the kids are leaning on me to make a cribbage board.  (I used to play it so a refresher might be in mind).  Anyways, I see Rockler sells a template for making one (as well as the pegs).  I'll grant that they're jig will make straight, clean holes, but I'm cheap so I'm looking for other ideas.  I can copy a template and spray glue it to a board, but I'm afraid the holes won't be clean and straight.

Is this a case of "spend the $$$ now DP so you won't regret it later?

How have you made your cribbage board(s)?
Dumber than I appear
(08-02-2023, 09:41 AM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: SWMBO and the kids are leaning on me to make a cribbage board.  (I used to play it so a refresher might be in mind).  Anyways, I see Rockler sells a template for making one (as well as the pegs).  I'll grant that they're jig will make straight, clean holes, but I'm cheap so I'm looking for other ideas.  I can copy a template and spray glue it to a board, but I'm afraid the holes won't be clean and straight.

I haven't made one in years and years, but I made some Pegs & Jokers parts.  I cut up a bunch of spacers to use when drilling.  Drilled the hole for a bunch of pieces, added or removed a spacer, drilled some more.  The bit for a cribbage peg is small enough to 'wander' just enough to be annoying.  I expect a good quality jig would alleviate that to some extent.
(08-02-2023, 09:50 AM)KC Wrote: I haven't made one in years and years, but I made some Pegs & Jokers parts.  I cut up a bunch of spacers to use when drilling.  Drilled the hole for a bunch of pieces, added or removed a spacer, drilled some more.  The bit for a cribbage peg is small enough to 'wander' just enough to be annoying.  I expect a good quality jig would alleviate that to some extent.

Yes, you're right...I just might buy the jig.

"The stingy man pays the most" and all...
Dumber than I appear
You are just looking for an excuse to buy a CNC router - right?

Winkgrin
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
(08-02-2023, 11:38 AM)6270_Productions Wrote: You are just looking for an excuse to buy a CNC router - right?

Winkgrin

That would make for an expensive cribbage board! Of course now you could make it in the shape of "29"; the highest hand. It's also a reminder to check if you've got the right Jack.

Back in the mid 70's when thick (usually dark) pine was in vogue I made coffee tables with live edge slabs. I routed a chess/checker board and drilled for cribbage. This was large format. I used 1/4" pegboard to make the actual jig in 3" thick pine on the drill press. Mostly because that was what I used on the first few. I soon realized I needed something thicker to make all the holes 90° to the top. The legs were pine branches from the woods (think; free) shaped with a draw knife. The pins were golf tees (also free), and that small branch stub on the live edge was actually a drawer pull.

When I brought a few to the local gift shop, I was introduced to the concept of "consignments"
I said; "No thank-you, I'll take cash now or they go back in my truck."
I left with cash.

Sorry for the long reply, but it was fun remembering my High School days.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(08-02-2023, 09:41 AM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: SWMBO and the kids are leaning on me to make a cribbage board.  (I used to play it so a refresher might be in mind).  Anyways, I see Rockler sells a template for making one (as well as the pegs).  I'll grant that they're jig will make straight, clean holes, but I'm cheap so I'm looking for other ideas.  I can copy a template and spray glue it to a board, but I'm afraid the holes won't be clean and straight.

I think if you're going to make a lot of them...or heck, even more than two...it would be worth the jig.  I've only made one.  I scaled up an image and printed it out, then did exactly what you were thinking, I spray glued it to the board and set out drilling on my drill press.  Only a few of the holes were misaligned (obvious my fault) but you would have to look hard for them.  The issue I had was I didn't consider tear out.  If it was doing it again, I would either use a sacrificial piece of hardboard...or more likely, drilled the holes before the final thickness planning to get rid of any tear out from the drilling process.

Good luck!
You could also just buy the template, use it, and then sell the template on here. Then the template doesn't cost so much (that is what I did years ago when I made one).

Or just post a WTB in the sales forum. Someone might have one kicking around they no longer need.

(08-03-2023, 06:53 AM)brnhornt Wrote: I think if you're going to make a lot of them...or heck, even more than two...it would be worth the jig.  I've only made one.  I scaled up an image and printed it out, then did exactly what you were thinking, I spray glued it to the board and set out drilling on my drill press.  Only a few of the holes were misaligned (obvious my fault) but you would have to look hard for them.  The issue I had was I didn't consider tear out.  If it was doing it again, I would either use a sacrificial piece of hardboard...or more likely, drilled the holes before the final thickness planning to get rid of any tear out from the drilling process.

Good luck!

That is exactly what I did, make a copy of an image to the size you want, glue it to a board and used my drill press to drill holes..  I have made 10-12 cribbage boards that way, all different sizes

I used colored match sticks for a while then got some metal pegs   from Cribbage Supply https://www.cribbagesupply.com/plainpegs.html

I got some templates from:www.cribbageguy.com/templates/   and   /cribbagecorner.com/templates/

Tom
I made one a few years ago…printed template, spray-glued. I think I used a drill press to ensure the holes were straight, but there are a couple of simple drill guides you can make from scrap wood to ensure straight holes with a hand drill.
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
Depending on how much you want to spend, Lee Valley has options from template to full kit to pegs
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.