Porter Cable 314
Ok, I did a search and only came up with one result on here. It won't help my situation. I bought a Type 5 saw and the switch is physically broken. The trigger part is broke beyond repair. I've searched the internet and came up with 3 part numbers. Unfortunately, all 3 are discontinued, out of stock. The first switch with a similar look was physically too big. I found another and it is on order. Even if I can find a similar trigger and cannibalize it to make the original switch work, I will. My question is, does anyone have any ideas on a replacement ? It seems to be a common problem. 

Also, does anyone have or know of a source for other parts such as the rip guide. I plan on making a case for it. I bought blades from Amazon. The thing looks almost new. The cord is in perfect condition. Oh yeah, I paid $50 for the saw, a Craftsman router and a Porter Cable trim router. The routers are in perfect working condition.

Thanks,

Garry
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
That's a pretty common switch.  It may be that a well stocked Ace Hardware may have a replacement.  You're right, the bigger double pole switches are too big.  You may end up having to go into the DC area to fine what you need.

Great buy on the tools!

I was wrong about that switch being common.  I was thinking about the larger double pole type.
I have repaired the plastic trigger portion of those switches before and its a major pain fooling with the aluminum rivets and springs.  When I've done that, I'll salvage a metal trigger from another switch if I can.
(08-12-2023, 12:20 PM)museumguy Wrote: Ok, I did a search and only came up with one result on here. It won't help my situation. I bought a Type 5 saw and the switch is physically broken. The trigger part is broke beyond repair. I've searched the internet and came up with 3 part numbers. Unfortunately, all 3 are discontinued, out of stock. The first switch with a similar look was physically too big. I found another and it is on order. Even if I can find a similar trigger and cannibalize it to make the original switch work, I will. My question is, does anyone have any ideas on a replacement ? It seems to be a common problem. 

Also, does anyone have or know of a source for other parts such as the rip guide. I plan on making a case for it. I bought blades from Amazon. The thing looks almost new. The cord is in perfect condition. Oh yeah, I paid $50 for the saw, a Craftsman router and a Porter Cable trim router. The routers are in perfect working condition.

Thanks,

Garry
 I found this link on another site parts store  It looks like a body style 3 switch. if you click on the switch style, it takes you to the page with several variants of that style switch.
Good Luck,
Larry
(08-14-2023, 01:00 PM)Bob Vaughan Wrote: That's a pretty common switch.  It may be that a well stocked Ace Hardware may have a replacement.  You're right, the bigger double pole switches are too big.  You may end up having to go into the DC area to fine what you need.

Agree.  Hardware store.  An actual one.  Go to the hardware aisle where they have all the obscure fasteners like metric woodruff keys and stainless steel left handed dog point set screws.  In one of those drawers, there will be switches.  Switches for lamps, and hopefully, switches for power tools.
That little saw is downright handy for certain jobs and there is not a current production equivalent AFAIK. I hope you're able to repair it.
(08-15-2023, 09:08 AM)lkomroff Wrote:  I found this link on another site parts store  It looks like a body style 3 switch. if you click on the switch style, it takes you to the page with several variants of that style switch.
Good Luck,

Thanks for the link. I found them a couple of weeks ago and all of their switches listed had the same issue, too tall. I sent them a message a week ago and have not heard from them yet. They looked promising. Actually, they are the only website that lists the sizes of each switch.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(08-15-2023, 12:38 PM)DieselDennis Wrote: Agree.  Hardware store.  An actual one.  Go to the hardware aisle where they have all the obscure fasteners like metric woodruff keys and stainless steel left handed dog point set screws.  In one of those drawers, there will be switches.  Switches for lamps, and hopefully, switches for power tools.

The only such place around is Ace. I actually cruised the aisle that you mention on Monday. My store does not have power tool switches. It sucks because there used to be a local place that definitely would of had the part needed. They sold out about 6 years ago. Bummer.

Garry
(08-15-2023, 06:36 PM)kurt18947 Wrote: That little saw is downright handy for certain jobs and there is not a current production equivalent AFAIK. I hope you're able to repair it.

I did find a switch that fit, sorta. Today, I took a Dremel to it and rounded the edges. It fit much better. I may need to do some more carving to the switch to get a little wiggle room. I wanted to post this because it seems to be a common problem with the saw.

Garry
https://price.salespider.com/cpidb-57bcc...tch-697171

Dewalt same part number. Same switch?? No picture.
https://www.ereplacementparts.com/switch...61460.html

Post 44
https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7173231
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020