Can Gloss Wipe on Poly be put over Satin Wipe on poly?
I am refinishing our kitchen table top.
After stripping and sanding, I used Minwax's oil based wipe on SATIN poly to finish the table.
I have just finished the third coat
My wife just informed me that she would like a GLOSS finish.
So my questions:
Can I use Minwax's Gloss wipe on poly over Satin wipe on poly? (My gut tells me yes)
There are three coat of that Satin finish on the table now, I was planning on putting 2 coats of the gloss finish over it for a total of 5 layers. Is there such a thing as too much poly?
you could but personally i go in reverse order on table tops. satin top coat. gloss highlights wear on table tops. satin hides.

wipe on poly is thin.  takes quite a few coats to equal one coat of brush on.
you already got the correct answer with the post above, but I'm trying to liven this place up again so adding on a +1. If you didn't already know, the experts (usually) recommend glossy for all but the final coat or two if you want to end up with a satin finish. I normally ignore this and just use satin or do whatever to satin up the final coat and it looks good to my eye. Post a pic or two if you have time if for no other reason than to give us something to talk about around here.
Sure, you can put gloss over satin.  It may not be quite as transparent because of the satin base coats, but if you're ok with that there's no technical reason you can't.  I would do it before stripping it all off and starting over with gloss.  You can always do that later if you don't like the look. 

How many coats is too many is more a personal preference.  As mentioned, wipe on poly is really thin.  I've used as many as 8 coats - and liked the look.  

John
I always make the first coats gloss; then if I want satin or semi-gloss, the last coat or two is the desired sheen. Also, if you use multiple coats of satin or semi-gloss, the flatteners in the finish will begin to make the wood grain appear somewhat murky.
Basically, you have a couple of options: 1) Add a couple of coats of gloss - it will not be appreciably more glossy than what you now have; 2) Strip it down to bare wood again and start over, using gloss.
https://paintsgeek.com/can-you-put-gloss...-answered/
(08-21-2023, 12:00 PM)Marilynchildress Wrote: I always make the first coats gloss; then if I want satin or semi-gloss, the last coat or two is the desired sheen. Also, if you use multiple coats of satin or semi-gloss, the flatteners in the finish will begin to make the wood grain appear somewhat murky.
Basically, you have a couple of options: 1) Add a couple of coats of gloss - it will not be appreciably more glossy than what you now have; 2) Strip it down to bare wood again and start over, using gloss.

Actually, it will be as glossy as if only gloss was used.  Gloss is controlled by surface roughness, not by flatters buried inside.  You are correct that it won't have as much clarity as if all coats were gloss, but if the final coats are gloss it will be gloss.  

John
If you have plenty of satin, let it settle in the can until the top part is clear.
Don't stir or mix, just use the top portion of the settled contents, which will be gloss after it settles.
But if your bride has you in a hurry-get-er-done......
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020