What is this plane used for?
Saw it on a FB listing and I'm not googling the right thing to get an answer.

Anybody know?  Anyone? Anyone?

Attached Files Image(s)

"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
The profile of the irons and bottom will tell you a lot more.
(08-17-2023, 09:47 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: The profile of the irons and bottom will tell you a lot more.

Unfortunately I don't have access to that.
(08-17-2023, 09:47 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: The profile of the irons and bottom will tell you a lot more.

Unfortunately I don't have access to that.
(08-17-2023, 01:15 PM)Scott W Wrote: Unfortunately I don't have access to that.

It looks like a plane that could cut large tongues.  Some large complex molding planes use double irons like that, but without seeing the bottom, it's hard to say.  Whatever it is, it isn't very common.  Interesting detail in the escapements.

I wonder if it could be for cutting rabbets or fielded panels, both halves would be set up the same for when the grain reverses?

DC
It looks like two totes on the back, I've never seen anything like that.  It is also very large, so a tongue plane might be the answer.  I'd buy it if it is not too much.
It's all wood.
(08-20-2023, 01:41 PM)ChuckHill Wrote: It looks like two totes on the back, I've never seen anything like that.  It is also very large, so a tongue plane might be the answer.  I'd buy it if it is not too much.

Yeah, I didn't notice that (the two totes), if they are the size of normal totes, that plane would have to be big, real big.  But why two totes?  Do you suppose it could be for use by two woodworkers?  Sorta like old flooring planes where one guy pushes and guides while the other pulls.  If it was for cutting a tongue it would have be on stock thats very thick  2-inches or better.

Whatever it is, it's interesting for sure!

DC
I was wondering how you would use it as well.  You could grab a tote in either hand, or have two people with one using their left and one their right hand.  I am guessing that the chair in the background is child's size.  Did tongue and groove get used on barns?

Try posting that picture on this FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rhykenology
(Rhykenology is the study of old woodworking planes. A rhykenologist is a person who collects and studies woodworking planes.)
It's all wood.
From the size of it, I'm guessing maybe it's used for long trim mouldings. I've never seen one with two totes, though. Hard to tell exactly what it's used for without a pick of the bottom and the irons on the bottom. I'm not even sure the two bottom parts are totes. They don't look very comfortable at all. They might be broken. There's a lot of wear on the sides of the body near the "totes." Could be that's where the user grabbed the plane when using it.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
There’s a mortise on the toe in front of each iron. I suppose that could be for a fence. There isn’t one on the heel, but it could be below the tote.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy