Bench Grinder
(08-18-2023, 08:42 AM)Poppa Cap Wrote: Got a lot of cash?            Baldor is the answer.

Baldor page
I agree that Baldor is the top shelf in grinders but you can buy lots of other brand grinders for the price of a new Baldor.....I have three of the six inch Baldors but also have a Rikon" two speed {with a 180 CBN wheel}..I have polishing and deburring wheels on two of the six inch Baldors. I bought the Baldors at flea markets or yard sales. Bought the Rikon at Woodcraft on sale...because it was two speed..But I almost always keep it on low speed.

I have been looking at the Delta and with the heavy duty cast iron tool rests and the variable speed, I think it is the best buy out there at this time. Most other brands cheap out by utilizing cheap stamped steel tool rests. IMO a grinder is all about good tool rests. But the variable speed is very desirable. You also need a good single point diamond dresser and a CBN wheel is nice to have for hard steel grinding. Machined steel washers are also a plus..{Always make sure you have paper or cardboard between the wheel and the washers.}

I would not be putting a large amount of money in a simple machine like a shop bench grinder. They just don't get used that often. But it does pay to learn how to set up any grinder correctly..mrpete222 has a good video on grinders IIRC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7OoqJN2L4Y

AMAZON
Delta Power Tools 23-197 8-Inch Variable Speed Bench Grinder, Black,steel
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Doug, do you currently have a grinder and are looking to upgrade?

If so, a new set of wheels may take you a long way.
“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

- Winnie the Pooh, as relayed through Author A. A. Milne
I have an 8” 2-speed and a wolverine; I am happy with it.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
First, thanks to ALL of you who have responded - I really appreciate your thoughtful comments and recommendations. Lots of knowledge on this board. I'll respond with questions and comments to some of the individual replies.

Doug
(08-18-2023, 08:16 AM)Tim in Indiana Wrote: Yes, I've been a metal worker for many years. If you want the right tool to grind tool bits buy a Baldor tool grinder or one of the import clones. 

The tables are solid and adjustable, you can have a green wheel on one side and a white wheel on the other. Or you can have a CBN and a Diamond wheel if you choose.

[Image: 0901001-24.jpg]

Great looking grinder! Is there a model # on this one? The tables look very nice and I assume that's a water cup up on that brass or copper rod? As Jack said, not sure I'm going to get in the $1K range for this grinder but there are some nice looking knockoffs that might do the job nicely.

Doug
(08-18-2023, 09:14 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: ...............
I agree that Baldor is the top shelf in grinders but you can buy lots of other brand grinders for the price of a new Baldor.....I have three of the six inch Baldors but also have a Rikon" two speed {with a 180 CBN wheel}..I have polishing and deburring wheels on two of the six inch Baldors. I bought the Baldors at flea markets or yard sales. Bought the Rikon at Woodcraft on sale...because it was two speed..But I almost always keep it on low speed.

I have been looking at the Delta and with the heavy duty cast iron tool rests and the variable speed, I think it is the best buy out there at this time. Most other brands cheap out by utilizing cheap stamped steel tool rests. IMO a grinder is all about good tool rests. But the variable speed is very desirable. You also need a good single point diamond dresser and a CBN wheel is nice to have for hard steel grinding. Machined steel washers are also a plus..{Always make sure you have paper or cardboard between the wheel and the washers.}

I would not be putting a large amount of money in a simple machine like a shop bench grinder. They just don't get used that often. But it does pay to learn how to set up any grinder correctly..mrpete222 has a good video on grinders IIRC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7OoqJN2L4Y

AMAZON
Delta Power Tools 23-197 8-Inch Variable Speed Bench Grinder, Black,steel

After grinding a couple of tools for my South Bend lathe, I couldn't agree with you more Jack! As was mentioned earlier, I will probably wind up going with one of the less expensive knockoffs. Just want to find the right one with the most useable features. 

Doug
Baldor is so benchtop.

Cincinnati for the win.  The tool & cutter grinder.

[Image: No2.jpg]
(08-18-2023, 10:33 AM)Patsfan Wrote: Doug, do you currently have a grinder and are looking to upgrade?

If so, a new set of wheels may take you a long way.

Great question! Yes, I have a six inch Taiwanese model my dad gave me many, many years ago and heretofore I've used it primarily with a wire wheel to clean up old rusty parts and miscellaneous grinding tasks. Now that I'll be grinding tools to use on my South Bend lathes, I'm looking for something better and more convenient to use. 

The tool rests on the one I have are stamped steel and not very adjustable. I'm finding it's important to have solid tool rests that are adjustable in a couple of planes. I did buy a new wheel for my grinder and used it yesterday to grind a tool. It worked but was not as convenient as a better 8" model would be I'm guessing. Jack also mentioned the variable speed feature which I'm finding on many of the models now offered. 

Don't want to break the bank with this purchase, just want to have the most useable features and hopefully some reliability. 

Doug
(08-18-2023, 11:34 AM)DieselDennis Wrote: Baldor is so benchtop.

Cincinnati for the win.  The tool & cutter grinder.

[Image: No2.jpg]

Great looking machine - Cincinnati is one of the gold standards! Probably out of my league.

Doug
(08-18-2023, 12:17 AM)Tapper Wrote: Any machine shop/metalworkers on this board?

Doug

Well, a complete newb at metal working. I recently got a 10EE lathe and a Excello knee mill. So far, I've managed to make a few passable items (mostly tooling) and break about a dozen end mills.
Smile I still need to get a bunch of cutting tools. I seem to live in used tool hell, so I'm tooling up only as needed.

I use my Worksharp 3000 with diamond disks for touching up carbide and HSS blanks. I don't use it to hog off material. I pretty much suck at sharpening but the WS makes me better. I have a cheap 6" grinder for initial shaping.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry