Need alignment pins for table leaves - vintage 1950 - 60s.
A friend of a friend has a table, just realized though she has one leaf, she is missing 2 more.  I have agreed to make new leaves .  The table looks vintage 50's to 60's  when the alignment pins were thin brass -  see the photo.  I have done some searching  ( Rockler and Lee Valley )  and can only find the more contemporary pins, which are more of a bullet shape, and much thicker. I can always turn new ones out of brass to fit existing, but didn't know if anyone has a source for the old style.

Attached Files Image(s)

(08-17-2023, 07:33 PM)barryvabeach Wrote: A friend of a friend has a table, just realized though she has one leaf, she is missing 2 more.  I have agreed to make new leaves .  The table looks vintage 50's to 60's  when the alignment pins were thin brass -  see the photo.  I have done some searching  ( Rockler and Lee Valley )  and can only find the more contemporary pins, which are more of a bullet shape, and much thicker. I can always turn new ones out of brass to fit existing, but didn't know if anyone has a source for the old style.

Sorry I can't tell much based on your picture.  Best suggestion is do a google search on "table leaf pins' and you'll come up with a bunch of different style pins.  For wood ones I think I got those through Van Dykes and for metal ones I got them probably through Rockler or Ebay.

Good luck, hope that helps.
(08-18-2023, 10:06 PM)hcbph Wrote: Sorry I can't tell much based on your picture.  Best suggestion is do a google search on "table leaf pins' and you'll come up with a bunch of different style pins.  For wood ones I think I got those through Van Dykes and for metal ones I got them probably through Rockler or Ebay.

Good luck, hope that helps.

Thanks.
(08-17-2023, 07:33 PM)barryvabeach Wrote: A friend of a friend has a table, just realized though she has one leaf, she is missing 2 more.  I have agreed to make new leaves .  The table looks vintage 50's to 60's  when the alignment pins were thin brass -  see the photo.  I have done some searching  ( Rockler and Lee Valley )  and can only find the more contemporary pins, which are more of a bullet shape, and much thicker. I can always turn new ones out of brass to fit existing, but didn't know if anyone has a source for the old style.

What's the female portion of the joint look like? Metal socket or wood? Would it be easier to remove the metal portion of the pin that's there and replace it with modern style? If you can make metal replacements then I guess it becomes a question if it's worth the time and effort to keep the original design.
You might try VanDykes.com
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(08-19-2023, 07:28 PM)kurt18947 Wrote: What's the female portion of the joint look like? Metal socket or wood? Would it be easier to remove the metal portion of the pin that's there and replace it with modern style? If you can make metal replacements then I guess it becomes a question if it's worth the time and effort to keep the original design.

(08-20-2023, 04:54 AM)Gary G™ Wrote: You might try VanDykes.com

Gary, thanks,  I just tried VanDykes, they just have the wooden ones.  Kurt, since she already has a table with a leaf, and of course, the main part of the table, I wanted to stay with that size.   The pin is 3/16, the female end is just a brass tube with a 3/16 hole in it.  I have a similar table with the same type pins.  The newer ones, either wooden, plastic , or metal, are much wider,  and have more of a bullet shape.
These are steel:
https://www.vandykes.com/table-top-and-l...t/p/205787
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Something like this? I couldn't find the actual diameter of the pin, just the OD for everything.

Amazon.com: Bonoda Brass Table Pins w/Sockets 20 Sets : Office Products
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(08-20-2023, 12:31 PM)museumguy Wrote: Something like this? I couldn't find the actual diameter of the pin, just the OD for everything.

Amazon.com: Bonoda Brass Table Pins w/Sockets 20 Sets : Office Products

Gary and Museumguy, thanks,  they both look promising, I just need to find out diameters.
(08-21-2023, 08:22 AM)barryvabeach Wrote: Gary and Museumguy, thanks,  they both look promising, I just need to find out diameters.

Hope it works. Keep us posted please.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry