New jointer - switch question
Found a great deal on a PM 1285 12” jointer.  I was pretty happy with my DJ 20 but I couldn't pass up this deal.  This thing is a beast and I almost passed because there was no way I was going to get this up on my truck. Luckily I have a very kind neighbor who has a trailer and who helped me load it.  Went on surprisingly easy.  I got it from an estate sale it looks like the previous owner never even used it.  Seems to be in great shape but it is missing part of the switch and switch plate.  I looked and the PM branded switch seems pricey.  Link below.  Is the price about right for a part like this or is it high because it's the gold standard
Big Grin?  If it is high, is there a cheaper alternative?  

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/switch-p-930606.html

Attached Files Image(s)

Can't help with the switch, but congrats on a great buy! That is one awesome jointer...deals like that never come my way.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(08-24-2023, 11:17 PM)Juss1 Wrote: Found a great deal on a PM 1285 12” jointer.  I was pretty happy with my DJ 20 but I couldn't pass up this deal.  This thing is a beast and I almost passed because there was no way I was going to get this up on my truck. Luckily I have a very kind neighbor who has a trailer and who helped me load it.  Went on surprisingly easy.  I got it from an estate sale it looks like the previous owner never even used it.  Seems to be in great shape but it is missing part of the switch and switch plate.  I looked and the PM branded switch seems pricey.  Link below.  Is the price about right for a part like this or is it high because it's the gold standard
Big Grin?  If it is high, is there a cheaper alternative?  

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/switch-p-930606.html

These switches control the contactor, so the red (stop)one is a momentary normally closed switch and the green (start) one is a momentary normally open switch.   
These are not normal on-off switches.    Suggest getting the PM switches with cover and keep the jointer looking good and safe as the proper switches prevent restarting if power is interrupted.   The wrong switch where the stop switch will allow auto restart after power is restored.   Roly
(08-25-2023, 07:17 AM)Roly Wrote: These switches control the contactor, so the red (stop)one is a momentary normally closed switch and the green (start) one is a momentary normally open switch.   
These are not normal on-off switches.    Suggest getting the PM switches with cover and keep the jointer looking good and safe as the proper switches prevent restarting if power is interrupted.   The wrong switch where the stop switch will allow auto restart after power is restored.   Roly

Thanks for the info Roly.  I'll go ahead and order the oem switch
Congrats on the great deal.

I was getting ready to reinforce Roly's post when I saw that you have already ordered the OEM switch; good deal!  

Decent quality switches are not free.  I thought the switch from ereplacement is reasonably priced in today's world.  It's not exactly free, but any decent switch is probably going to be at least that price.

The minor cost of that switch will be forgotten as that big jointer is humming along.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
Thanks. I can’t wait to get the switch to try it out. Hoping there’s nothing wrong with it since I wasn’t able to fire it up. But at the price I figure it was worth the risk. It has regular straight knives. I plan to upgrade to a Byrd head in the future but the head will cost about the same as jointer.
Big Grin
(08-25-2023, 09:31 AM)Juss1 Wrote: Thanks. I can’t wait to get the switch to try it out. Hoping there’s nothing wrong with it since I wasn’t able to fire it up. But at the price I figure it was worth the risk. It has regular straight knives. I plan to upgrade to a Byrd head in the future but the head will cost about the same as jointer.
Big Grin

She's a beauty.  You will appreciate the width and mass every time you use it.  

John
(08-25-2023, 09:31 AM)Juss1 Wrote: Thanks. I can’t wait to get the switch to try it out. Hoping there’s nothing wrong with it since I wasn’t able to fire it up. But at the price I figure it was worth the risk. It has regular straight knives. I plan to upgrade to a Byrd head in the future but the head will cost about the same as jointer.
Big Grin

I think it depends on what kind of wood you normally use. For typical fairly straight grained domestic hardwoods I'm not sure there's a huge benefit to segmented heads beyond noise, but then I don't mind setting straight knives once a year or so. If you're working with gnarly grain or other difficult wood it'd be a different story. Being the jointer is 12" wide, if your boards are less you can feed boards at an angle when flattening, that may help with tear out.
(08-26-2023, 11:11 AM)kurt18947 Wrote: I think it depends on what kind of wood you normally use. For typical fairly straight grained domestic hardwoods I'm not sure there's a huge benefit to segmented heads beyond noise, but then I don't mind setting straight knives once a year or so. If you're working with gnarly grain or other difficult wood it'd be a different story. Being the jointer is 12" wide, if your boards are less you can feed boards at an angle when flattening, that may help with tear out.

Had both in the past and now have an 8" Shopfox with Byrd head. No comparison - will never go back.

Doug
Switch arrived but the mounting holes didn't line up.  I really didn't want to wait so I just drill some new holes.  The cover was plastic which was a little surprising given the cost.  I also just placed an order for the byrd head through holbren.  Can't wait to get it.