Sawstop question
Maybe I'm overreacting because we got struck by lightning and I had a pretty good size bill each time (household stuff). But it's not really that hard to unplug mine so I'll stick with it. We also had a huge surge once when an ice storm knocked out our power for 3 days. When the power came back on it fried 2 transformers in our wall oven.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I unplug my tools when I’m finished with them. Never had a problem with lightning or power surges.
VH07V  
(08-27-2023, 10:58 AM)Tapper Wrote: Through the wires that connect it to your electrical system. 

Doug

Doesn't make sense, if your switch is off how can current jump the switch contacts ?
(08-30-2023, 09:37 AM)2link2 Wrote: Doesn't make sense, if your switch is off how can current jump the switch contacts ?

Because the voltage spikes are much higher than the normal voltage.  The spikes normally don't last very long, but long enough to damage some equipment.
There is very little distance between the contacts.  Roly
I plug my tools in when I need them and unplug them at the end of the day or when I’m done with them for the day.  The only things plugged in are my radio and multi-split. And I’ve thrown the panel breaker for it on occasion if we have a lot of lightening in the area (as per the recommendation of the MS installer).
(08-30-2023, 09:37 AM)2link2 Wrote: Doesn't make sense, if your switch is off how can current jump the switch contacts ?

Most switches only open the hot wire part of the circuit. As pointed out above, that open circuit on the hot wire has a voltage level design limit. Exceed that design limit and current will arc across the open switch.

Also, since both the ground wire and the neutral wire are still connected, ground currents through the tool and going from ground to neutral (or neutral to ground) can be significant.

Or, to put it differently, what is a quarter-inch gap in a switch to a voltage discharge that traveled 8 miles through the sky to get there? (N.B.: yeah, sloppy physics, but a decent way to visualize things)
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I think 250 volts will jump that 1/4”.
VH07V  
(08-31-2023, 10:24 PM)iclark Wrote: Most switches only open the hot wire part of the circuit. As pointed out above, that open circuit on the hot wire has a voltage level design limit. Exceed that design limit and current will arc across the open switch.

Also, since both the ground wire and the neutral wire are still connected, ground currents through the tool and going from ground to neutral (or neutral to ground) can be significant.

Or, to put it differently, what is a quarter-inch gap in a switch to a voltage discharge that traveled 8 miles through the sky to get there? (N.B.: yeah, sloppy physics, but a decent way to visualize things)

Had no idea current would jump a switch, I guess shops with hard wired machines must have some type of protection ? I live on the West Coast & have had machines plugged in for over 40 years never thought about a power surge. Lighting here is very rare.
(08-30-2023, 03:30 PM)Roly Wrote: Because the voltage spikes are much higher than the normal voltage.  The spikes normally don't last very long, but long enough to damage some equipment.
There is very little distance between the contacts.  Roly

I've wondered about this issue myself.   I think the path is through the neutral wire rather than jumping the open contacts.

So, if that's true, I wonder if using a double pole, single throw switch would solve it at least on 110v units.  Or would the ground path still leave a vulnerability?
The path can be any of the connected wires, it would depend on what the lightning hit. It's not very chosey about the route it takes.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.