Dealing with a cupped top?
"Trying to hold a 1-3/4" thick oak top against its will is not likely to turn out well.""

TRUE.

Semper, are you sure this isn't related to imperfections in the edge jointing? I assume you did face in/face out on the jointer?

Personally I'd be concerned that even after flattening it may want to cup again. I say that b'c it is oak.

He's got his solution but normally ripping down the middle of the offending boards and reglueing is the best approach IME. It takes the stress out of the top and saves thickness.

Best of luck!
(09-05-2023, 10:21 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: "Trying to hold a 1-3/4" thick oak top against its will is not likely to turn out well.""

TRUE.

Semper, are you sure this isn't related to imperfections in the edge jointing?  I assume you did face in/face out on the jointer? 

Personally I'd be concerned that even after flattening it may want to cup again.  I say that b'c it is oak.

He's got his solution but normally ripping down the middle of the offending boards and reglueing is the best approach IME. It takes the stress out of the top and saves thickness.

Best of luck!

Yeah, I did the I/O method on the planks.  Ripping isn't an option because it's round and I'd lose the width needed. 

After I flatten it on the sled I'll let it sit for a couple of weeks.  If it cups again I'll rebuild it with fresh lumber.
Semper fi,
Brad

Depending on your delivery schedule and the amount of profit you have in the job, I'd be tempted to just make another top and move on. If you end up trying to pull the top flat, even after getting most of it out with a sled, you're always going to be worried that it will warp again and you'll end up making another top anyway. It may be worth eating the cost of this one to avoid having a dissatisfied customer especially if there is a possibility of getting more business from them.

Frank
(09-06-2023, 07:31 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: If it cups again I'll rebuild it with fresh lumber.

Silver lining is that the old boards will large enough to be usable in another project.
(09-06-2023, 07:31 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Yeah, I did the I/O method on the planks.  Ripping isn't an option because it's round and I'd lose the width needed. 

After I flatten it on the sled I'll let it sit for a couple of weeks.  If it cups again I'll rebuild it with fresh lumber.
If you lost 3/16 that would be critical???
(09-07-2023, 09:22 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: If you lost 3/16 that would be critical???

One rip cut will not fix this.
Semper fi,
Brad

(09-07-2023, 02:27 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: One rip cut will not fix this.

Not to pile on…however, you’re responses strongly suggest making a new top.
It sounds like the current one isn’t stable and will create more issues over time.
Your business and reputation at this stage is probably more important and valuable than the loss of the current tabletop.
You’ll find a use for the material down the road.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Yeah, I'm gonna rebuild it and reuse this lumber somewhere else.
Semper fi,
Brad