Refinishing butcher block countertop
I have been asked to repurpose a butcher block countertop.
I assume it is finished with some type of oil, and is I good shape. It will be installed on a roller around island, to be used in a laundry room, to fold clothes and such. It will be cut to length, so the ends will be raw wood.
I would think an oil finish and l assume an oil finish and freshly laundered clothes is not ideal.
I am thinking a coat of clear shellac, and several coats of water based poly is the right way to go.

Any ideas? Any thoughts?

(08-31-2023, 08:59 AM)goaliedad Wrote: I have been asked to repurpose a butcher block countertop.
I assume it is finished with some type of oil, and is I  good shape. It will be installed on a roller around island, to be used in a laundry room, to fold clothes and such. It will be cut to length, so the ends will be raw wood.
I would think an oil finish and l assume an oil finish and freshly laundered clothes is not ideal.
I am thinking a coat of clear shellac, and several coats of water based poly is the right way to go.

Any ideas? Any thoughts?

Your approach is sound.  Alternatively, you could use an oil-based varnish like Arm-R-Seal or Waterlox.  I would give a nod to the later approach if you want bulletproof, although EnduroVar is very durable, too.    

John
I think a few coats of spar varnish would be wise, considering the dampness around laundry.
(09-01-2023, 04:56 PM)BassMD Wrote: I think a few coats of spar varnish would be wise, considering the dampness around laundry.

Spar varnish is a low hardness product designed to handle the high expansion of exterior wood applications.  Interior varnishes have higher hardness and durability.  

John
I would use Shellac—mix your own—followed by ArmR-Seal.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Thanks for the input. I used satin ArmRSeal. My first time using it- and I love it!

(09-26-2023, 07:08 PM)goaliedad Wrote: Thanks for the input. I used satin ArmRSeal. My first time using it- and I love it!

Another ARS fan!  Glad it turned out well for you.  Unless it gets scratched through the finish, it should stand up to nearly any assault. 

FYI, it takes a good 3 weeks to cure well, and even more to completely cure.   You can use it after a day or two; just don't abuse it for awhile.  

John