Forrest Blade Sharpening
I need to get a Forrest tablesaw blade sharpened and plan to send it to them.

How do you package the blade to send it to them?  How is payment arranged?

Their website is pretty good, but I'm unclear how they get the CC number.

Thanks,
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
Marcus Aurelius 
(09-03-2023, 10:32 AM)Blaine Wrote: I need to get a Forrest tablesaw blade sharpened and plan to send it to them.

How do you package the blade to send it to them?  How is payment arranged?

Their website is pretty good, but I'm unclear how they get the CC number.

Thanks,

I have used Forrest several times and can vouch for their service.  The first time many years ago I built a special thin plywood box with the blade mounted in one of those plastic blade-holders to ship a WWII.  The next time I used the original cardboard envelope it came in with the old plastic cover over the teeth.  Those only required sharpening as the teeth otherwise were in good shape, and they came back razor sharp and the body obviously retooled to ensure flatness.

The last time was for a thin-kerf blade that somehow had been through a catch and had 3 or four badly bent teeth and likely a warped blade - shipped in a homemade cardboard envelope.  On that one the technician called to say he wasn't sure about the result and asked whether I still wanted it worked on.  It came back sharp, of course, and I could only tell the slightest difference, if any, in the smoothness of cut. 

Anyway, you do not need battleship construction to ship the blade.  A little something extra around the circumference to keep the teeth from poking through is recommended.

Download the instruction sheet on their website and fill it in, including the payment method.  Cost depends on what is checked that you want done.  If there are any uncertainties or possible extra charges they will call.  

Gary
Split some tubing and run it around the edge?

I just taped mine between two pieces of cardboard and stapled to hold in place.
1- Make your own box. When they send it back, keep the factory box for future shipping.
2- There is a form you should fill out with your order that has CC info. Link -   Forrest Sharpening Form
Also, you can call them if needed the number is on the website. Forrest does a fantastic job sharpening.

Another place I can recommend for saw blades and jointer/ planer knives is Dynamic Saw. Haven't used them in many years but they also did a fantastic job.
Sandwiched between 2 pieces of 1/4" ply. 3/8" long screws around the edges
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(09-05-2023, 02:40 PM)ajkoontz Wrote: 1- Make your own box. When they send it back, keep the factory box for future shipping.
2- There is a form you should fill out with your order that has CC info. Link -   Forrest Sharpening Form
Also, you can call them if needed the number is on the website. Forrest does a fantastic job sharpening.

Another place I can recommend for saw blades and jointer/ planer knives is Dynamic Saw. Haven't used them in many years but they also did a fantastic job.

Another PSA for Forrest - my great experience mirrors the others' reported here.  I took thin strips of cardboard I carved out of an amazon box and taped it around the circumference of the blades, 3 of them, and stuck all three in another box, which I taped up pretty good.  I filled out the form, too, and the charges exceeded what I sent them via check in the box with the blades to be serviced, and they did the work and send the blades back to me with a bill for the extra $31.00.  I called them and gave them my credit card number over the phone - done deal.  I should also mention one of the WWII blades I sent them had been in a Sawstop brake incident.  All three blades came back perfectly sharpened, flat and, at least in my mind, well-worth what I paid them.  FWIW.
The last time I used Forrest I wasn't overly impressed. Yes, the blade was sharp, but I opted for blade evaluation and fix anything needed.

Got it back and its got about and it's still got almost .006 of runout.