How would you "divide" these feet?
I cut these legs on the bandsaw.  Small piece was a test; it's four individual cabriole legs tapeed together to make a pedestal leg. 

Recipient loves the overall look but doesn't like the hollow interior, so I instead made each leg from one solid blank. 

Now I need help figuring out how to "divide" each foot into four, to look more like the test piece.  Got any suggestions?  I have a Dremel, but I imagine that will take forever, even with a carbide grinding bit.  If that's the best way, I'll tackle it, though. 

Your thoughts?

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

(09-06-2023, 07:37 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I cut these legs on the bandsaw.  Small piece was a test; it's four individual cabriole legs tapeed together to make a pedestal leg. 

Recipient loves the overall look but doesn't like the hollow interior, so I instead made each leg from one solid blank. 

Now I need help figuring out how to "divide" each foot into four, to look more like the test piece.  Got any suggestions?  I have a Dremel, but I imagine that will take forever, even with a carbide grinding bit.  If that's the best way, I'll tackle it, though. 

Your thoughts?

With the leg upside down, a router jig fastened to the bottom should get you close.  Filing will get you the rest of the way.  

John
I was thinking a jig saw (sabre saw) to rough it out, then rasps and files. It's gonna take some patience. Given the size of the foot, I suspect that balancing a power tool on it like a router or sabre saw is possible with a lot of care.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Looking at a little more, I'd do it with a handsaw to cut the notches and then rasp, file, and sandpaper.  You've already cut the round over on the bottom.  All that's left is the notches and a little profiling.  

Beauty definitely is in the eye of the beholder.  That leg looks like an elephant in high heels to me.  

John
(09-07-2023, 09:14 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Looking at a little more, I'd do it with a handsaw to cut the notches and then rasp, file, and sandpaper.  You've already cut the round over on the bottom.  All that's left is the notches and a little profiling.  

Beauty definitely is in the eye of the beholder.  That leg looks like an elephant in high heels to me.  

John

Kudos to Brad for not backing away from a challenge... but two or three of the commissions he's taken on are illustrative of why I no longer do it for money.
(09-08-2023, 05:33 AM)KC Wrote: Kudos to Brad for not backing away from a challenge... but two or three of the commissions he's taken on are illustrative of why I no longer do it for money.

To be honest, these challenges are part of why I enjoy doing this.  I'm getting paid to learn new techniques and figure out how to overcome challenges (with help, of course!).  There no way I could afford or justify building these things if others weren't funding it!

I'm also only working on one or two projects at a time, and don't have a tight schedule because the customers know this is on the side. 

I'm starting my first two epoxy river tables after this one is done.  

All that may change in the future, but for now I'm loving it.
Semper fi,
Brad

(09-07-2023, 05:15 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I was thinking a jig saw (sabre saw) to rough it out, then rasps and files. It's gonna take some patience. Given the size of the foot, I suspect that balancing a power tool on it like a router or sabre saw is possible with a lot of care.

This might have some merit, especially with a long blade to prevent catching.  I'll see if can figure it out with a piece of scrap.

(09-07-2023, 09:14 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Looking at a little more, I'd do it with a handsaw to cut the notches and then rasp, file, and sandpaper.  You've already cut the round over on the bottom.  All that's left is the notches and a little profiling.  

John

What type of handsaw would you suggest?

It's not my cup of tea, either, but if I can make it work I'll be proud of the outcome, and the customer absolutely loves the way they look so far!

Here's the table my wife wants me to build for our dining room.  I don't really like it, but it'll give me a new challenge to face!

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

(09-11-2023, 05:51 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: This might have some merit, especially with a long blade to prevent catching.  I'll see if can figure it out with a piece of scrap.

What type of handsaw would you suggest?  I love my Japanese pull saws.  You only have to cut the notches.  The rest would be done with rasps, files, sandpaper.  

It's not my cup of tea, either, but if I can make it work I'll be proud of the outcome, and the customer absolutely loves the way they look so far!

Here's the table my wife wants me to build for our dining room.  I don't really like it, but it'll give me a new challenge to face!

John