A hackberry vase
This 13" dia x 14" tall vase was an experiment in using hackberry wood. That wood turned out to take a gouge quite nicely.

Attached Files Image(s)

We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
I like it and looks like your plywood ones also.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Segmenting is still a challenge for me; one day I'm sure I will enjoy some small form of success.  Hackberry is one of my favorite woods for bowels.  The figure/coloring is always a crowd pleaser!

Your piece is amazing.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(09-10-2023, 04:18 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: Segmenting is still a challenge for me.

What is it that you're having trouble with? I find it easier than conventional one-piece turning. It's all in having a couple of jigs ahead of time.
(09-11-2023, 05:06 AM)SceneryMaker Wrote: What is it that you're having trouble with?  

Glue joint.  But recently we had a segmenting demonstration during a club meeting; I learned something I have not had a chance to try.
(09-11-2023, 07:06 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: Glue joint.
The segment ends that make a ring or the ring faces where one ring meets another?

The trick to making a good ring is to make the total included angle of the segment very accurate. I typically use 12 segments per ring so the included angle is 30.00 degrees. I set the fences on my wedgie sled with a 30-60-90 drafting triangle and use a sharp cross-cut only blade in the table saw. I get smooth, good-fitting joints that make a ring with no gaps. I lay all 12 segments out on a straight piece of tape, sticky side up, put Titebond Original glue on the adjacent faces, then pull the tape with the attached segments into a ring. Last, I put pressure on the ring with a hose clamp. I've never had a gap or had a ring come apart.

The trick to get two rings to join up reliably is to get both faces dead flat and parallel to each other. If two rings can rock a little against each other, they're not flat.
A lot of people use sandpaper glued to a flat board.

Does this help any?
nice!!  never worked with hackberry before, but i like the looks of it.  
Yes
(09-11-2023, 12:56 PM)SceneryMaker Wrote: The segment ends that make a ring? 
My first three "Beads Of Courage Boxes" were segmented, and every ring went together perfectly.  At a demonstration, I realized you can create half rings, sand, then glue.  If I get serious about segmenting, I will look into the wedgie systems.
Thank you for showing interest in my struggles.  That is one thing that has always been great about WoodNeters!!!
(09-12-2023, 08:07 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: If I get serious about segmenting, I will look into the wedgie systems.

If you get a $5 drafting triangle from Walmart and make a wedgie sled from that bin of scrap that's "too good to pitch. I might use it someday," (everybody has a bin like that.), you can get started with that technique really cheap and not even very much time. I think I'll start another thread with my easy-to-make sled.
(09-12-2023, 08:07 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: My first three "Beads Of Courage Boxes" were segmented, and every ring went together perfectly.  At a demonstration, I realized you can create half rings, sand, then glue.  If I get serious about segmenting, I will look into the wedgie systems.
Thank you for showing interest in my struggles.  That is one thing that has always been great about WoodNeters!!!

yep, i've definitely done the 1/2 rings before.  depending on the layout and what you're doing, it works great.  but, it can introduce things just being a BIT off depending on how much sanding ya need to do.  certainly better than tossing into the scrap pile though!  
Laugh