How would you lay out these curves?
(09-15-2023, 06:12 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: So, that doesn't address the question at all.

I would start with a 1/2" piece of MDF, with a trammel, draw the size of arch needed, then lay it on a board wide enough the accommodate the template.

Somehow, I doubt my answer is what you are looking for either; I've seen a lot of your posts, so my answer is too basic.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(09-16-2023, 08:20 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: I would start with a 1/2" piece of MDF, with a trammel, draw the size of arch needed, then lay it on a board wide enough the accommodate the template.

Somehow, I doubt my answer is what you are looking for either; I've seen a lot of your posts, so my answer is too basic.

That's actually how I first imagined it if I made the template on my own, but I'll likely have my buddy cut it on his CNC.
Semper fi,
Brad

Your OP seemed to ask about grain direction and segmented curves. It also implied that you know how to do the actual curve layout. Did I misunderstand?
(09-18-2023, 04:58 PM)Willyou Wrote: Your OP seemed to ask about grain direction and segmented curves. It also implied that you know how to do the actual curve layout. Did I misunderstand?

I have *my* thoughts on how to do it.  I asked for others on *their* thoughts on the process.
Semper fi,
Brad

Of course, CNC will do a perfect job and if your buddy does it for free, you are ahead.  But "I wanta do it myself!"  Cut the MDF, sand to the line, and you're done.  It won't be perfect, but no one can tell!!!

That's why we all love woodworking...there are so many ways to skin a cat (what on earth does that phrase mean?).
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
If you are asking how to physically plan out the curves, my approach would be to determine the total length desired, and estimate how wide the stock needs to be, then use a long compass set to the outer dimension, swing that arc on the stock.   Measure the width, adjust the compass to that inner dimension, then swing that arc.   Be sure to add enough for the tenons on the ends.

I'd use a single piece of stock, unless you can't get something thick enough.  For a hayrake table, it took 12/4 stock to get the vertical dimension needed.