Replacing Jet Cab Saw motor
I have a Jet 10 inch Xacta cabinet saw where the motor is toast, according to my electrician son.
OEM is serious $$....more than I paid for the saw 20 years ago - $600.
I've looked at Grainger, Grizzly, and various other sites. The cheapest I've found is just under $500. Ideas? Has any one had to go down this road lately?
Arnie
What are the motor specifications, voltage, hp, etc?
Not sure if you want to chance a used motor, but that seems like a less expensive approach...
Brian
3 hp, 220 (240), 3450 rpm
Arnie
pm sent about possible replacement
(09-19-2023, 12:29 PM)MountainWood Wrote: I have a Jet 10 inch Xacta cabinet saw where the motor is toast, according to my electrician son.
OEM is serious $$....more than I paid for the saw 20 years ago - $600.
I've looked at Grainger, Grizzly,  and various other sites.  The cheapest I've found is just under $500. Ideas? Has any one had to go down this road lately?

Have you had to replace the arbor shaft bearings on that saw?  I replaced them twice on mine in 20 years, and when it needed them the third time is when I bought the SawStop.  Fantastic machine, and no question I got my money's worth out of it.  Motor was still fine.
Have you looked at having a local motor shop rebuild the motor?
It should be a NEMA frame motor which means there’s a good chance the shop can rebuild it or offer a rebuilt motor with your motor in trade.
This should be considerably less expensive than a new motor.
Is it a standard nema frame motor, or something like the unisaw with a proprietary motor mounting setup.

I’d look at having a local shop rebuilder either way.
Did your son ever say what is wrong with the motor other than it is toast ?   Unless it is burnt up (which you would smell) it most likely be repaired far cheaper than replacement.    Roly
Do those motors have start and run capacitors?  Do you know for the motor itself is bad?
The only time I have had a burned motor which couldn't be replaced with a reasonably cheap standard frame motor i rewound it myself.

It was very time consuming but not very difficult really. My uncle had rewound some motors as a side income in the 1950-ies so he taught me the basics. I bought laquered copper wire and insulation paper and epoxy at a local rewinding shop. 

As you have an electician in the family to ask for advice i think you could do it yourself.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English