"King Nammu's Decanter"
"King Nammu's Decanter"

This piece is made from Padauk, Canarywood and African Blackwood. After turning the hollow form, 32 flutes were hand carved into the main body of the piece. The pour spout is made from two pieces that were carved out all the way through so you can pour liquid from this vessel. The finished size of the piece is 8" x 12" x 18" The final finish on the wood is Deft sanding sealer.

Attached Files Image(s)

Your stuff is always mind blowing... but that's just a whole 'nother level!
I don't know what to say.  Maybe KC said it best.

Thank you for sharing.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
wow, that's great work
How did you did the whole for the spout? Even in two pieces it would be hard to me anyway

Well done
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(10-19-2023, 10:45 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: How did you did the whole for the spout?  Even in two pieces it would be hard to me anyway

Well done

I expect he (1) roughed it out on a bandsaw, (2) cut it down the centerline (so the inside is exposed when you "open" the two halves), (3) hollowed out the spout channel, (4) reglued it, and (5) completed the shaping.

Steps 1 and 2 may have been reversed -- someone like him whose skills are far greater than mine could probably do it either way.
(10-21-2023, 09:50 AM)Ridgeway Wrote: I expect he (1) roughed it out on a bandsaw, (2) cut it down the centerline (so the inside is exposed when you "open" the two halves), (3) hollowed out the spout channel, (4) reglued it, and (5) completed the shaping.

Steps 1 and 2 may have been reversed -- someone like him whose skills are far greater than mine could probably do it either way.

After making two haves the same about 1/2" -5/8" thick I routed the center out with a U shape router bit, only where it was wide enough. The rest was ground out down the center with a Dremel and a round carving bur. Then both haves were glued back together and shaped.

Attached Files Image(s)

(10-21-2023, 11:51 AM)Splinterz25 Wrote: After making two haves the same about 1/2" -5/8" thick I routed the center out with a U shape router bit, only where it was wide enough. The rest was ground out down the center with a Dremel and a round carving bur. Then both haves were glued back together and shaped.

ok, think that might be my favorite . . . that's really awesome!  
Yes
(10-21-2023, 11:51 AM)Splinterz25 Wrote: After making two haves the same about 1/2" -5/8" thick I routed the center out with a U shape router bit, only where it was wide enough. The rest was ground out down the center with a Dremel and a round carving bur. Then both haves were glued back together and shaped.

Thanks I did not think of that since I did not see the cut marks. Also what type of glue did you use to make it non toxic to use? Epoxy?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(10-31-2023, 04:02 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Thanks I did not think of that since I did not see the cut marks.  Also what type of glue did you use to make it non toxic to use?  Epoxy?

Arlin CA glue was used for the whole project, it is not made to actually be used for liquid; but it could be.