I need a mini table saw
I have begun to make small jewelry boxes- using 1/4" - 3/8" material.   I find that my large table saw is a bit bulky for this detail work.   Although I have made several jigs to have accurate miter corners, I wish that I had a small bench saw to do this intricate work.   Something with a 6"-ish blade.    I tried using my hand plane with shooting boards, would rather a precise machine.   ANY IDEAS?   Anyone use a smaller TS for detail work?
I know nothing about them, but I have heard others mention that Proxxon tools are popular with model builders.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(10-17-2023, 03:00 PM)AlanS Wrote: I have begun to make small jewelry boxes- using 1/4" - 3/8" material.   I find that my large table saw is a bit bulky for this detail work.   Although I have made several jigs to have accurate miter corners, I wish that I had a small bench saw to do this intricate work.   Something with a 6"-ish blade.    I tried using my hand plane with shooting boards, would rather a precise machine.   ANY IDEAS?   Anyone use a smaller TS for detail work?

You will never be able to obtain the precision and cut quality of a shooting board with a machine.  My advice is to use your current TS with a mini sled for rough cuts and then a good shooting board and low angle bench plane, like the LN No. 62, to bring them to final dimension.  

John
For model and miniature work take a look at the Byrnes Model Machine table saw. It’s a great tool for that purpose (and the drum sander is amazing as well).
(10-17-2023, 03:00 PM)AlanS Wrote: I have begun to make small jewelry boxes- using 1/4" - 3/8" material.   I find that my large table saw is a bit bulky for this detail work.   Although I have made several jigs to have accurate miter corners, I wish that I had a small bench saw to do this intricate work.   Something with a 6"-ish blade.    I tried using my hand plane with shooting boards, would rather a precise machine.   ANY IDEAS?   Anyone use a smaller TS for detail work?

jointmaker pro?
Just a thought, how about a 10" jobsite table saw with a 7 1/4" blade on it? Smaller table size, smaller blade, maybe.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
IF you can find one, a printer's saw seems to me to be the perfect tool for that.  Maybe with a custom ground blade.  But they are heavy, smooth running and accurate.  I saw a half dozen of them sell last summer at auction but have never seen another opportunity or I'd own one I think.

Example:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dSgXxmpB-8
(10-20-2023, 06:14 PM)museumguy Wrote: Just a thought, how about a 10" jobsite table saw with a 7 1/4" blade on it? Smaller table size, smaller blade, maybe.

It doesn't help with table size but I've run 7 1/4" diablo blades from Home Depot on a Grizzly 1023. I find it less aggressive and smoother running than regular 10" blades in 40 -60 tooth configuration. I only use these for thin fragile cuts though they'll cut up to 3/4 or so fine. There are different tooth counts and grinds. And I don't have to send them out to have sharpened. Smaller diameter so the rim speed is lower so feed slower but for the kind of work these blades are best for a slower feed rate is desirable.
Have a look here: https://www.micromark.com
and here:

https://craftisian.com/projects/12854-mi...ci-inserts

These folks might have the experience you want.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
I've ran a 7-1/4" multitooth blade on my 3hp Grizzly before. It's smooth...
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020