Best dedicated router table motor
I'm torn between the Milwaukee 5625 and Woodpeckers Spinrite.

Seems like no motor is without it's flaws.

If you read down in the reviews for the 5625 some people had switch failures, speed control failures and complete motor faolures. One production Woodworker said that the 5625 had to be sent in for service frequently. Even though it does have a 5 year warranty.

For the Spinrite one guy complained that the brushes wore out quickly and another had a motor failure, but they quickly replaced it.

Even some reviewers had lemons with the Jessem Powertek, which is surprising at such a high price point.

I don't mind buy once cry once but I thought I could have higher confidence before making a choice. So far haven't been.able to get there.

Interested in hearing what others settled on for their motors.
Weight the answers carefully. I have the 5625 in my table, and it's over 12 years old and has seen a lot of use; with nary a problem. But today's models are manufactured in Asia (I think) versus Mexico (I think) where mine was made. I have no idea if the newer ones are as good as the older ones....sounds like they may not be. But other than that consideration mine has been a stellar performer and I replaced a PC 7518 (ah, the days before PC was ruined by Dewalt) which I didn't like nearly as well. Given th3e limited choice of routers for the table available these days, I'd probably still be inclined to go with the 5625,,,but asking here is a good idea.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
There are other manufacturers of bare router motors intended for router lifts. Bora is one, Rockler sells a Triton branded motor that can be purchased with a D handle base if you want it. MLCS sells a bare motor that can be had with a remote variable speed that plugs into the motor via a cable, not a standalone box. First time I've seen one of these.

https://www.hvalleytools.com/product/z95...d-controls

I also found out that MLCS has a new name, hvalley tools. They sell MLCS and Eagle America router bits, same deal.
(10-28-2023, 03:16 PM)kurt18947 Wrote: I also found out that MLCS has a new name, hvalley tools. They sell MLCS and Eagle America router bits, same deal.

It's news to me as well.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Yeah, I mostly know all the options for router motors, just trying to find out which ones are quality and reliable based on Woodnetters experience.
Mwaukee 5625 here....just need to blow the dust out of once in great while. I bought it shortly after they were introduced, 03-04 maybe?

Ed
I have a Milwaukee 5625 from 15 or so years ago that surges speeds sometimes
Hasn’t quit yet, but I’m expecting it anytime
(11-01-2023, 06:07 PM)JDuke Wrote: I have a Milwaukee 5625 from 15 or so years ago that surges speeds sometimes
Hasn’t quit yet, but I’m expecting it anytime

I don't know what it is about routers and speed controllers though after 15 years yours has a right to be crotchety. Porter Cable had a lot of trouble with their 7529(?) and to a lesser extent the follow on 8529. I have an 8529 and the speed control got slower to start over time and eventually wouldn't start. I was able to remove the speed controller and use an external box if I want variable speed. I'd read one place that the capacitor plague that bedeviled PC motherboards was in part responsible to the router speed control failures as well. Those could be fixed by replacing the failed capacitors. Of course I read about that a week after I threw my failed router speed controller out
Upset. I think the router speed controller plague was in part responsible for Porter Cable's demise. The 7529 had other issues as well but failing speed controllers didn't help.
Kurt.

I’m familiar with the PC 8529 speed control capacitors fix as I bought a few of them on clearance back when they were going cheap.

And did replace the capacitors in a couple of them.
Still have one on the shelf. ( I’d hate to count how many routers I have, I’m sure it’s over 20 if you count trim routers)

One thing to think of when buying a long term router, is availability of things like collets and as someone already mentioned brushes Etc.

I have an old Freud router that was a challenge to find a collet for.
Davco, have you concluded anything about what route you want to take???