Construction screws
My inventory of screws is running low. In the past I've always just bought 25 lb. boxes of "drywall screws". For the 1", 1-1/4", and 1-5/8" I'll stick with "drywall screws" (Usually have both coarse and fine thread on hand). 
Do you have any recommendations for other general use construction screws up to 4" and where to purchase them. For comparison; 25 lb.s are about $50 at lowes. They're a little more at my preferred Lumber Yard.
I also want to stay with all sizes using a #2 phillips. I went along with the trend towards torx, star, or whatever, long enough. I don't even want the leftover half-boxes that someone else got put in my truck; just throw them in the dumpster.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
I get "construction screws" at Menards.  They seem a step above drywall screws and come in similar sizes:
https://www.menards.com/main/hardware/fa...?exp=false
I use Grip Rite screws. They sell them at HD, but I buy them by the pound at my local lumberyard for cheaper. Haven't had one I couldn't drive or that popped the head off yet.

Oh yeah, and they're Torx drive.
These are my preferred brand. https://www.quickscrews.com/ I like the painted white head, installation screws for installing Melamine cabinets to the wall.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(10-29-2023, 08:07 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: My inventory of screws is running low. In the past I've always just bought 25 lb. boxes of "drywall screws". For the 1", 1-1/4", and 1-5/8" I'll stick with "drywall screws" (Usually have both coarse and fine thread on hand). 
Do you have any recommendations for other general use construction screws up to 4" and where to purchase them. For comparison; 25 lb.s are about $50 at lowes. They're a little more at my preferred Lumber Yard.
I also want to stay with all sizes using a #2 phillips. I went along with the trend towards torx, star, or whatever, long enough. I don't even want the leftover half-boxes that someone else got put in my truck; just throw them in the dumpster.

considering how easy they are to break I prefer something a little better than drywall screws.  I guess it depends on what you are using them for.
drywall screws have just about no shear strength.
“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

- Winnie the Pooh, as relayed through Author A. A. Milne
I made the switch to Robertson head(square drive) screws. There are three size drivers(and screw head holes) for the different size screws. I buy bulk(come in boxes of 100) from McFeelys.

They also have Phillips head as well, but I like the square drive better, except for sheet rock.

Their drivers are color coded and the different sizes are easy to see. I think I have had two failures in over fifteen years.

For outside applications, I just use the coated Torx type from HD(tan and dark green).
(11-01-2023, 08:54 AM)Patsfan Wrote: drywall screws have just about no shear strength.

+1 They aren't worth much except for hanging drywall. They are one of my pet peeves doing home inspections.... The tell-tale sign of a DIYer. Drywall screws have a built in wood splitter though.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(11-01-2023, 08:33 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: +1 They aren't worth much except for hanging drywall. They are one of my pet peeves doing home inspections.... The tell-tale sign of a DIYer. Drywall screws have a built in wood splitter though.

They’ve been known to lose their heads in a tight situation.
VH07V  
I don't buy anything near that quantity, but I really like the GRK screws you can get from the borgs or Amazon. Pricey but effective.