upgrade rockwell band saw to 1 1/2 hp
I have a 28-200 Rockwell  band saw that I bought new in 1979 with 6" riser block in good condition. It has a 1/2hp motor. I am considering switching the motor out for a 1 1/2hp for better re-saw abilities. I saw a new Vevar 1 1/5 HP motor on Ebay for $161.
Has anyone else done this and any thoughts?
Tom
(11-06-2023, 05:14 PM)Foss Wrote: I have a 28-200 Rockwell  band saw that I bought new in 1979 with 6" riser block in good condition. It has a 1/2hp motor. I am considering switching the motor out for a 1 1/2hp for better re-saw abilities. I saw a new Vevar 1 1/5 HP motor on Ebay for $161.
Has anyone else done this and any thoughts?

I have what is very much the same saw, a 14" cast iron Delta, plus a riser block.  I upgraded to a 1.5 hp motor when I added the riser block.  It had a 3/4 or 1 hp on it originally and it was poor for resawing even 6" stock.  It's still slow, but I cut a lot of 10" wide veneer with it before I bought a larger, more powerful saw.  If you need to resaw anything over 3 or 4 inches, you will greatly appreciate the larger motor.   With a 1/2" x 3 tpi blade it will cut well if you set up the saw properly and don't overload the blade.  It's never going to be a wood eating monster, but that motor and blade will allow you to do most anything needed for resawing and cutting veneer up to 10" or so.   

John
I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with the Vevar line of motors? I noticed one on Ebay for $161. says its 1 1/2HP 1750 rpm, farm duty, continuous duty and brand new. The price seems very low to me? Would this work for re-
sawing on a band saw?
Tom
(11-06-2023, 08:33 PM)Foss Wrote: I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with the Vevar line of motors? I noticed one on Ebay for $161. says its 1 1/2HP 1750 rpm, farm duty, continuous duty and brand new. The price seems very low to me? Would this work for re-
sawing on a band saw?

That motor should work fine.  Made in China, however.  You might want to look locally for a used Baldor, Leeson, etc. motor.  

John
When I had my Delta 14", I changed the 1/2 HP motor to a 1 HP, and idhed I had went with 1.5...or maybe even 2 HP. The motor I used was a Grizzly (Taiwan, I think) since it was about the least expensive I could find. It will be a good thing to do (the larger motor) but looking for a used USA one makes sense...you may not find one but at least check around.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I ordered the 1 1/2 hp Vevar motor from Ebay so we'll see how it goes. We don't get many used motors in this area on Craigslist

so I though for $160 I'd give it a try.
Tom
(11-07-2023, 01:55 PM)Foss Wrote: I ordered the 1 1/2 hp Vevar motor from Ebay so we'll see how it goes. We don't get many used motors in this area on Craigslist

so I though for $160 I'd give it a try.

Who uses Craigslist anymore?  Try Facebook Marketplace next time.  

John
Well John.........I do use both, but I still prefer Craigslist. The Craigslist adds usually give much more info about the item as well as more pictures. At least that has been my experience.
Tom
Still waiting to receive my new motor. In the mean time.......I also want to add some integrated lighting for this band saw.
Anybody add lighting to a band saw that they like? I would like to keep it @ $70.
Tom
I just ordered this one for my lathe, and I have another on my drill press. Plenty of light and the switch is on the lamp head (instead of being somewhere in the power cord) making it a little easier to manage. The on I do have on my bandsaw is the same model, except it has that switch in the power cord...still works as well, except for the switch not being as esy to reach.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.