Buying a big drill press tomorrow. What should I look for?
(11-11-2023, 12:11 PM)fredhargis Wrote: Congrats on getting it home. If you come across a used engine hoist (one that folds is best) for a good price, you'd find that really useful when dealing with heavy tools. I used one for years and it really helped me do things by myself that would have taken a few extra folks otherwise.

Yeah, I'll pick up an engine hoist and probably a pallet jack once I get in the new shop.
Shut up and take your medicine, citizen.
(11-11-2023, 06:23 PM)mdhills Wrote: When I moved a clausing, I removed some fragile parts from the head and leaned it back onto a plywood with support blocking, then tipped the entire thing back into my minivan.

Can you lower the head down the column?  This can make upright transport a bit less hairy.
The head is probably quite heavy.
When doing wanting to lower or raise the head of the clausing, I worked with the table-raising mechanism, and had a section of 2x4 from the table collar to the base of the head.

Matt

I brought some 2x4s with me with that kind of thing in mind.  But it was easier to just transport it standing up.  The head doesn't go through the column.
Shut up and take your medicine, citizen.
Nice get. I have its Pentair-eta Delta twin sitting in my shop waiting to be powered up. Yours looks in more complete condition than mine.

I think I transported mine by removing the head and the table. The column/base was welded to a 3’ x 3’ piece of 1/4” plate steel, which made it more awkward than normal. Moved it all out of the back of the truck and reassembled with an engine hoist.

I would love some pics of the VFD placement and cabling if you get a chance. Curious about which Vfd they bought and how they terminated the armored cable.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
(11-12-2023, 12:15 AM)blanning Wrote: Yeah, I'll pick up an engine hoist and probably a pallet jack once I get in the new shop.

Glad that you got it home alright.

We have an engine hoist at work. Somehow, the legs are always in the wrong place for what I need to pick up or put down.

If you go with a tall enough door in the new shop, you might want to consider an A-frame hoist.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
The tractor will be great for moving bigger stuff.

I have a 55hp tractor with pallet forks and have used it to move things I really shouldn’t have, like a 4000 lb CNC vertical machining center. (Aka mill)

Also great last time I moved as we brought my BIL’s tractor to the old house, loaded both his and my trailer with machines, and tools into pallet crates and used his tractor to load, took pallet forks off his tractor and used them on my tractor to unload at new place.

once new shop is built you’ll find a mini pallet jack is also great for machine and bench mobility
Regular pallet jacks are really to big for most stuff in shop, but the Mini is about 17” wide and forks are 32” long.
So just 2x4 on edge is enough to lift something high enough that pallet jack easily goes under.

As for engine hoist they are also great as mentioned, I use mine for heavy lifting in places where tractor would be tough to fit.

How big is your tractor, as it may be of some use to adapt an engine hoist to be used as a gin pole mounted to the three point
(11-10-2023, 04:28 PM)blanning Wrote: I considered disassembling it for transport, then remembered that.

I'm not sure if it makes sense to transport it standing up or lying down.  The seller says he did it standing up when he got it.

I would at least consider removing the motor. You have a VFD but those aren't too complicated. Make a sketch/take some pictures of the wiring if the VFD stand alone. Take it off too if practical, one less thing to get smashed.
(11-12-2023, 12:15 AM)blanning Wrote: Yeah, I'll pick up an engine hoist and probably a pallet jack once I get in the new shop.

I don't know how your new shop will be constructed, so this may or may not apply.

My shop building has steel I beams overhead on both sides of the shop.  Two years ago I added an inexpensive 2 ton chain hoist to one side.  It has a carriage that allows it to roll along the I beam.  It has saved my bacon more than once.  The first use was when I bought some old WW machines; the hoist got them off my trailer and down to the ground.  Then when I put them on better mobile bases the hoist did all the lifting.  I also use it to remove the outboard from the boat at the end of the season.  Lately I've been using it to lift the boat itself off and then back onto the trailer so I could make some trailer repairs and improvements. 

Chain hoist was probably the best $150 capability upgrade I have made to that shop building.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")