Helical Head for Jet JJ-8CS Jointer?
Hello All,

I have the Jet 8" JJ-8CS which is a great jointer but it comes with a set of 3 knives. I have been reading about the helical head and one of the big advantages is not having to set each knife when you switch them out or sharpen them. Does anyone have the JJ-8CS and have they switched out the cutterhead? 

Secondly, which helical head would you recommend?

Thanks, Bill
I do and I did switch out the cutter head. I went with Byrd Shelix, but back when i did it they were about the only one available. there are some others available now that I would look at as well. True enough, it eliminates the knife setting headaches, but there are some other things to know. It reduces the noise quite a bit, especially if you have a DC hooked to the machine. The inserts cut quite a bit more wood than the knives, so you won't have to rotate them for a long time. I would have to look to see how mine are, but I've rotated them once and I'm sure it's 12-15 years old. On mine, the inserts will leave lines the length of the board. It's not a big deal since it takes (literally) about 5 passes with an ROS to remove them, but one thing that might help is to remove each insert, clean the seat, and then install the insert with the proper torque (45 in. lbs, IIRC). This made my lines much lighter, but didn't eliminate them. I read somewhere that Byrd had redesigned their head to help alleviate this problem, so maybe it's not an issue anymore. Lastly, the installation on a jointer is n easy job if you can deal with the bearings. Later when I'm out in the shop I'l look and see if I can find when I bought the Shelix, and post back.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I just bought a Jet 8" HH & it's fantastic I'm not sure what cutter head Jet uses but it's awesome I just got done with some 8" wide stock and can't believe what a clean cut it does. I'd be curious to know who makes the Jet cutter head I can't imagine anything cutting better.
Thank you both for the replies
If I were considering such a switch I'd also check Jet's price. I looked into converting a JJP-12 Jointer Planer to helical. The Jet helical cutterhead was $600ish, the Byrd was over $1,000. I don't know if that's still the case.
Iirc, the Jet and Powermatic jointers use a Byrd clone (same insert). Mine works great.

Ed
(11-20-2023, 02:22 PM)fredhargis Wrote: I do and I did switch out the cutter head. I went with Byrd Shelix, but back when i did it they were about the only one available. there are some others available now that I would look at as well. True enough, it eliminates the knife setting headaches, but there are some other things to know. It reduces the noise quite a bit, especially if you have a DC hooked to the machine. The inserts cut quite a bit more wood than the knives, so you won't have to rotate them for a long time. I would have to look to see how mine are, but I've rotated them once and I'm sure it's 12-15 years old. On mine, the inserts will leave lines the length of the board. It's not a big deal since it takes (literally) about 5 passes with an ROS to remove them, but one thing that might help is to remove each insert, clean the seat, and then install the insert with the proper torque (45 in. lbs, IIRC). This made my lines much lighter, but didn't eliminate them. I read somewhere that Byrd had redesigned their head to help alleviate this problem, so maybe it's not an issue anymore. Lastly, the installation on a jointer is n easy job if you can deal with the bearings. Later when I'm out in the shop I'l look and see if I can find when I bought the Shelix, and post back.

@fredhargis

Hey Fred.... I was re-reading your post. I have a couple of questions. Do you remember if you were able to unscrew the two bolts from the cutter head without too much fuss - meaning, all you had to do was to place the wrench into the opening, unscrew each bolt without removing the jointer from the base.

Question 2 - Regarding the outfeed table, I would think it does not really matter where it is set until the new cutterhead is installed. Right? Once the new cutterhead is installed, I would then find top dead center of the cutterhead and adjust the outfeed table to that point.

Thanks, Bill
Easy one first,#2. You are correct, just adjust the outfeed to be level with the inserts.

Now, #1..testing my memory. I know I didn't pull the jointer off the base. I think I just removed the fence and the little rabbeting table on the operator side, the pork chop guard, lowered the tables and the cutterhead comes right out (don't forget to remove the belts) after you remove the 2 nuts. They come off within that little opening as I recall.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(11-21-2023, 10:24 AM)2link2 Wrote: I just bought a Jet 8" HH & it's fantastic I'm not sure what cutter head Jet uses but it's awesome I just got done with some 8" wide stock and can't believe what a clean cut it does. I'd be curious to know who makes the Jet cutter head I can't imagine anything cutting better.

It's not made by one of the aftermarket brands you can buy, I'm sure it works fine.  Been selling the Byrd for 18 years and as Fred said, only option back in the day.  Some people like the Luxe Cut but I would stay away just because of the proprietary inserts and their ridiculous price tag for lower grade carbide.

Jet apparently has some planer inserts too now that are proprietary and ridiculously priced.  Never saw them before but customer called a couple weeks ago looking for options and couldn't find any.  I think Jet was asking $360 for a set of 30.
@Brian in Sunny FL...how about Arizona Carbide (azcarbide.com)? Ron Campbell bought them a few years ago, definitely a focus on turning tool carbides, but he carries a few dozen sizes each in square and square-radius cutters. I don't use carbide turning tools much, so i'm not a judge on quality--but he has a loyal following on the turning webs.