coffee table dimensions
I want to make a coffee table for the LOML.  Is there a standard for the length in relationship to the sofa?  Should the 1.61 : 1 ratio be applied to the top.  A 44" long table would be 27 1/2" wide.  That seems a little wide to me.  I already know that I will be making the top 20" from the floor.  The design will make that dimension easy to lower by cutting off the legs.
Of all the things that have no particular standard, coffee tables are one of them. The only real consideration is that the top shouldn't be higher than the level of the seat. Beyond that, it's whatever looks good and fits in your space, whether it be a sectional, chaise, regular sofa, loveseat, whatever. I think a typical length would be about 1/2 to 2/3 of the main sitting length regardless of shape.
(11-26-2023, 06:52 PM)humanrace Wrote: I want to make a coffee table for the LOML.  Is there a standard for the length in relationship to the sofa?  Should the 1.61 : 1 ratio be applied to the top.  A 44" long table would be 27 1/2" wide.  That seems a little wide to me.  I already know that I will be making the top 20" from the floor.  The design will make that dimension easy to lower by cutting off the legs.

That's a safe ratio for vertical things but doesn't often work out conveniently for the horizontal.  Consider 20" to 22" width and see how that fits in the room.
(11-26-2023, 10:15 PM)Bob Vaughan Wrote: That's a safe ratio for vertical things but doesn't often work out conveniently for the horizontal.  Consider 20" to 22" width and see how that fits in the room.

Thanks.  When I laid out the table using the 1.61:1 ratio, it seemed excessively wide.  Thanks to both of you that answered.  Mockup will be built tomorrow.
My only suggestion is that it shouldn't be longer than your sofa. I've seen square, rectangular, circular, and elliptical coffee tables. Height is probably the only common dimension - around 18 inches or even in height with the seat of the sofa.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill