Large Bandsaw Mobile Base
Has anyone built or purchase a mobile base for a large band saw? Like a Jet 20 inch 5 hp. I have built bases for almost all of my shop tools. The wrinkle I have challenged  with is the bottom door swings open almost 90 degrees in order to change blades. I typically place my casters as far to the outside to provide a more stable base.

Any suggestions/thoughts?

Greg
My MM16 has the same situation, with the lower door. I bought it used and the PO put these style casters on it from Casterdepot. I have to say it's not as convenient sas having a foot pedal to step on and move things, but I don't move the saw that much, when I do these work just fine. You can get these with a single stem mount if you want. I just ordered another set of them to put on my lathe.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(12-01-2023, 06:41 PM)Oldwood2409 Wrote: Has anyone built or purchase a mobile base for a large band saw? Like a Jet 20 inch 5 hp. I have built bases for almost all of my shop tools. The wrinkle I have challenged  with is the bottom door swings open almost 90 degrees in order to change blades. I typically place my casters as far to the outside to provide a more stable base.

Greg

I put a ShopFox mobile base on my 17" 5 hp Grizzly.  It works great and gives full access for the lower door.  I'm not sure they still make that base, but the Grizzly Bear Crawl base looks similar.  

John
I've got this one under my 20" 3hp Grizzly bandsaw, 1k lb capacity. Works for me.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/shop-fo...ase/d2057a
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(12-02-2023, 02:46 PM)Admiral Wrote: I've got this one under my 20" 3hp Grizzly bandsaw, 1k lb capacity.  Works for me.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/shop-fo...ase/d2057a

That's the one I have, too, under my 650 lb saw.  No issues.    

John
I have the shopfox as well under a 20" Rockwell/Delta. It moves, but barely. And now that its on a garage tile floor its even harder. Thankfully I don't ever have to move it much.
I have a Bora Portamate rated for 1500 lbs under the PM 1800. I mainly just swing the saw 90 degs in one spot depending if I need more length for ripping longer stock but it has not sieged up after 3 years now.
(12-01-2023, 06:41 PM)Oldwood2409 Wrote: Has anyone built or purchase a mobile base for a large band saw? Like a Jet 20 inch 5 hp. I have built bases for almost all of my shop tools. The wrinkle I have challenged  with is the bottom door swings open almost 90 degrees in order to change blades. I typically place my casters as far to the outside to provide a more stable base.

Greg

This is the easiest no weld solution if you are ok with the added height.  2 pieces of square tube bolted length wise to the bottom.  The holes are probably already there.  Put 4 2-way locking casters on the ends.  This is a Laguna 18HD.  I did the same thing on my 17" Grizzly.  no issues.
[Image: ydzM35a.jpg]
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
On my MM16, the bolt head for a castor or other platform is in the way of the lower door.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020