Dewalt 735. Upgrade or Replace?
Photo 
Hi all,

I have an issue with my DeWalt 735 planner. I’m getting ridges on the wood and while they sand off easy, it’s a concern. I’ve had this machine for 2 years with no issues and after replacing the knives the issue comes back. I don’t store the wood vertically where it can pick up debris and the ends are cut off. Also, my garage floor has an epoxy finish. I don’t know what can be nicking the blades after just a few passes.

So, my question is, should I look to upgrade the cutter head to a helical head or look to buy a new planer with the helical head. I searched out some models from Grizzly, Jet and Shop Fox. None of them received stellar reviews. Am I just wasting my money looking to upgrade the cutter? The cost of the 735 + the new cutter head puts the unit over 1K. I can buy any of the above for a lot less.

I’m spoiled as before I retired and downsized my basement shop sported a 20” Powermatic 209HH. It would never fit into my garage.

Bug 
Rollers are dirty, embedded with debree?
Have some less than stellar blades that are chipping out?
You replaced the blades with new? or resharpened?

I wouldn't kick it out the door just yet.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-15-2023, 12:27 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Rollers are dirty, embedded with debree?
Have some less than stellar blades that are chipping out?
You replaced the blades with new? or resharpened?

I wouldn't kick it out the door just yet.

When I replaced the blades I used new original DeWalt blades and I cleaned the rollers completly. Can't understand what's going on. After a few passes the ridges are worse than on the old used knives.
Have you inspected the blades?
Steve

Mo.

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-15-2023, 07:03 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Have you inspected the blades?

Yes, I can't see any nicks on them. The old ones too.
Odd. Ok, are your wood chips being sucked out, or coming out with the lumber.
I've seen hard chips stay in the grooves on the lower table rollers, and also ride out on top of the lumber, going under the outfeed roller, dragging, grooving the lumber.
Throwing out ideas. I don't have the 735. I have a 20" planer that will do that on the bottom of the lumber. Hard chunks staying the grooves that the rollers sit it.
Steve

Mo.

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-15-2023, 07:39 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Odd. Ok, are your wood chips being sucked out, or coming out with the lumber.
I've seen hard chips stay in the grooves on the lower table rollers, and also ride out on top of the lumber, going under the outfeed roller, dragging, grooving the lumber.
Throwing out ideas. I don't have the 735. I have a 20" planer that will do that on the bottom of the lumber. Hard chunks staying the grooves that the rollers sit it.

Between the fan that ejects the chips and the mini gorilla that I have attached to it I don't see many chips anywhere. I've had this machine for 2 years and no problems until now. It's a real dome scratcher.
I've seen those same streaks with my 735 but not on every board.  Never figured out the problem.  I did find a higher quality set of knives, don't remember where.

A few years ago I had the chance to buy a, new in the box, 735 for $400.  I installed the Byrd head...wow, what a difference.  But I've had the same streaks at least once, so I doubt the problem is in the head.

Good luck.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(12-16-2023, 10:08 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: I've seen those same streaks with my 735 but not on every board.  Never figured out the problem.  I did find a higher quality set of knives, don't remember where.

A few years ago I had the chance to buy a, new in the box, 735 for $400.  I installed the Byrd head...wow, what a difference.  But I've had the same streaks at least once, so I doubt the problem is in the head.

Good luck.

Bill,

Thanks for the info. I spoke with Brian at Holbren this morning and ordered the Byrd head. They have it on sale for $399. Someone sent me a link to a chinese knockoff for about a $100 less. The site had 73 reviews and almost all 5 stars. Not sure how accurate the reviews are. While I like saving $$$ if I had an issue who do I call???? It was a tool website. At least here I can call Brian or Byrd if I have any issues. I should have it by Thursday. Glad I'm retired and can start first thing Friday. 
Yes
Good deal on the head being available from Bryan.

Does the 735 have a scraper, board hold down before or after the cutter head? If so, check the bottom of it and see if it's grooved from boards passing under it. Hard pine knots will mess things up with added wear.
Steve

Mo.

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020