Sediment Filter Problems
(12-20-2023, 03:20 AM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: I’d suggest looking into one or two spin down filters inline before your ge cartridge.  

They’ll catch the bigger stuff before it reaches the fine filter media of the cartridge. They’re easier & cheaper to maintain as you just back wash them - which can also be automated.

https://www.rusco.com/spin-down-and-sedi...er-filters

Thanks.  I will look at those.

Bug 
(12-18-2023, 08:28 PM)crokett™ Wrote: sort of.  standard 4x12 or so paper filter.  I am not sure what you mean by sponge seal.  there's a rubber seal at each end of the filter and those are both in place.  The seat on the filter housing doesn't look worn or anything.

Made of rubber, but spongy as in compresses easily in your fingers. May be a foam filled seal.

Your filter canister you show is much bigger than the standard blue colored in-line filters around here.
Sometimes they use the blue colored double filter system.

So have you figured anything out yet? SnipeHunter had a major brown water issue (well water) with his a few years ago. I believe his problem that he traced down was the pipe connection on the well casing was sloppily done, and dirt was washing into the well casing hole where the exit pipe was connected.
Just throwing that out there.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

If your earlier filters were a graduated medium with a final 1 or perhaps 5 micron layer, and your new filters are straight 10 micron, it’s possible that fine particulates are blowing through and building in your lines and water heater. Consider going to 2 stage filtration, 10 followed by a 1 micron in separate canisters and normal usage should clear any accumulation.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Yes, use the spigot. Let it run about 15 minutes on full.
VH07V  
Thanks Ian. I’ve been using the curent 5 micron filters for at least 18 months. This issue is more recent. I may have to go to 2 stage. I will try flushing the well and see what happens.

On a side note, if feasible and affordable, maybe bypass the filter for your garden hoses. Some shark bites and Pex would make the task fairly easy and spare your filter from filtering water just for the garden, car washes etc
Ray
(12-23-2023, 06:59 PM)DogwoodTales Wrote: On a side note, if feasible and affordable, maybe bypass the filter for your garden hoses. Some shark bites and Pex would make the task fairly easy and spare your filter from filtering water just for the garden, car washes etc

I did that. It does save on filters and you get slightly better flow.
VH07V  
We're on well water with high iron and several other issues so everything was running through a PH balancing (calcite) tank, then through an iron removal (Potassium Permanganate) and then through a softener. Also a pre filter (GE) before it runs through the other equipment. It dawned on me that the plants and grass don't care. So I re-plumbed the hose bibs to a T between the well pressure tank and the GE filter. Now I change the filter and regenerate the other three pieces of equipment less often.

The filter is hit or miss. The dissolved iron can carry a slime with it. From what I understand, the slime is the iron making an attempt to link up together. It will clog faucet aerators and the filter. A 1 micron filter will clog quickly. I'm not concerned with anything as small as 1 micron (1/25000 of an inch). Not even concerned with anything 5 microns (5/25000 of an inch). All it is really doing is restricting water flow once particulates start building up which doesn't take long. I've been using 10 micron without issue. The slime gets through but is fixed at the iron removal tank.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

[quote pid="8163659" dateline="1703120654"]

So have you figured anything out yet? SnipeHunter had a major brown water issue (well water) with his a few years ago. I believe his problem that he traced down was the pipe connection on the well casing was sloppily done, and dirt was washing into the well casing hole where the exit pipe was connected.
[/quote]

No.  Haven't really checked.  Busy with other things.  I'll flush it this week as a first step.  Around here the well pipe exits the casing at the top.  No pitless adapters.  It's 12" above ground, so that's not a likely cause.

(12-26-2023, 10:32 AM)crokett™ Wrote: [quote pid="8163659" dateline="1703120654"]

No.  Haven't really checked.  Busy with other things.  I'll flush it this week as a first step.  Around here the well pipe exits the casing at the top.  No pitless adapters.  It's 12" above ground, so that's not a likely cause.
[/quote]

Yes, sort of. That was a leaking/cracked pitless adapter. Water came out brown right out of the faucet. So I had water spraying on the iron casing dropping brown water down the well. I would have fixed that myself but I was unfamiliar with that type of (obsolete) pitless adapter. I found info on it online and made a tool but I couldn't get it to budge. The adapter was held in place by 2 U bolts, not a threaded nut. I was able to take off the U bolts but the adapter ran all the way across the casing so it couldn't be moved to back it out of the hole in the side of the casing. It pivoted/folded in the middle so it could come out but I couldn't get it to fold so I wound up hiring an old well guy who had the adapter on his truck and the tool to remove the old one. I was at work when he fixed it but he told my wife that he bought all the ones he could find when they stopped making them. The hole in the casing is larger than the hole for a traditional adapter. If I were to put in a modern adapter, I'd have to dig down and weld in an arched plate to cover the hole and put in a smaller hole. Or cover it with a Fernco sleeve and drill a new hole. Either way, this was the cheaper fix. Our whole development has these obsolete adapters.. It's a good adapter just expensive and needs a special tool to pry up the center of the adapter to break it loose.

My original thought was that I had dirt getting in the well at the adapter hole. I bought a cheap camera (Amazon next day Prime) which I dropped down the well and found the crack in the adapter.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS