Shower Valves
the handle fell off the builder grade shower valve in the master shower today.  It's not a brand I've heard of, I am pretty sure it is some wholesaler/bulk brand.  I think I know why it fell off, and I think I can reinstall it but I am anticipating a decree of scope creep and replacing it with one with a black finish.  Assuming that happens, I am looking at replacing the entire valve body, correct?  I don't know if the hole in the tile is big enough or I will be cutting access through the drywall on the other side.

(12-29-2023, 08:39 PM)crokett™ Wrote: the handle fell off the builder grade shower valve in the master shower today.  It's not a brand I've heard of, I am pretty sure it is some wholesaler/bulk brand.  I think I know why it fell off, and I think I can reinstall it but I am anticipating a decree of scope creep and replacing it with one with a black finish.  Assuming that happens, I am looking at replacing the entire valve body, correct?  I don't know if the hole in the tile is big enough or I will be cutting access through the drywall on the other side.

If you don’t know the manuf. , you’ve got a tough row to hoe to find a replacement handle.  You may luck out with a generic one though and the stems tend to be somewhat ubiquitous in size.  

Black finish ?  
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

Don’t hold your breath.  Black is a fairly new (and rare) finish and not likely to be found in an older commodity grade trim or replacement handle. 

If the hole in your tile is large enough to replace the valve - it’s TOO BIG.  Access from the backside is a pretty standard practice.
If you have hard water, stay away from black.
VH07V  
(12-29-2023, 11:10 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: If you don’t know the manuf. , you’ve got a tough row to hoe to find a replacement handle.  You may luck out with a generic one though and the stems tend to be somewhat ubiquitous in size.  

Black finish ?  
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

Don’t hold your breath.  Black is a fairly new (and rare) finish and not likely to be found in an older commodity grade trim or replacement handle. 

If the hole in your tile is large enough to replace the valve - it’s TOO BIG.  Access from the backside is a pretty standard practice.

I have the handle.  I am thinking/hoping the set screw backed out.  However, with my wife these things tend towards scope creep.  The faucets on the lavs are already black.    I have not installed a shower valve set in 8 or 10 years.  I can't remember if what attaches to the pipes is part of the valve body or not.  I suspect it is, in which case I am going to have to cut an access hole.  if I do,  I may just trim it out and leave it to be unscrewed rather than do the taping and mudding.

Why not get an access panel
(12-30-2023, 11:49 AM)fixtureman Wrote: Why not get an access panel

I'm trying to avoid any sort of plumbing.  Me and plumbing don't get along, at least anything do with fixtures. I will do rough-in all day long.  It's that last mile as it were that I hate.   So I know that if I were to decide to just replace the valve, the existing valve would be connected to the water lines with some weird fitting I've never seen.

I was able to find the faucet online.    The worst that happens is I have to order a part, or I just order all the parts except the valve body.  I am going to take the handle to HD tomorrow and see if I can find a set screw that works.  The old screw it seems was stripped, either that or the faucet handle is stripped.

(12-30-2023, 07:46 PM)crokett™ Wrote: I'm trying to avoid any sort of plumbing.  Me and plumbing don't get along, at least anything do with fixtures. I will do rough-in all day long.  It's that last mile as it were that I hate.   So I know that if I were to decide to just replace the valve, the existing valve would be connected to the water lines with some weird fitting I've never seen.

I was able to find the faucet online.    The worst that happens is I have to order a part, or I just order all the parts except the valve body.  I am going to take the handle to HD tomorrow and see if I can find a set screw that works.  The old screw it seems was stripped, either that or the faucet handle is stripped.

Go to a good hardware store instead
(12-31-2023, 07:29 AM)fixtureman Wrote: Go to a good hardware store instead

Unfortunately we don't have one near me.