Anderson/Emco storm door problem
I have an Anderson/Emco full glass storm door, last week we had a wicked rain and wind storm and I guess the door wasn't fully latched so the wind got hold of it and damaged the hinge rail but the door will close with a lot of effort. I went to their website and I can get a new hinge rail for $100, almost half the cost of a new door. I'm wondering if anyone has tried to straighten one of these and was able to fix it, I'm not too optimistic and will probably spring for just the rail.
Im sure these are the same people that have said they got no problem eating cats and dogs but shreek like little girls at the sight of an octopus.jonzz 12/17/13
I'm not familiar with the door but assume it is aluminum. If the glass can be removed and the frame taken apart, I might try taking it apart as much as I can and try straightening it. If it is a hard aluminum extrusion, it may not take kindly to straightening and crack instead of bend. Might be worth the $100 to just get it fixed without the frustration; particularly if you have to work in the cold.
Order a new door, and then you have parts from the old one as spares.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

Door hinges on cars, we used to stick blocks of wood between the inner part of the door and door post, and push hard trying to close the door, thus bending the hinges back into place.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-30-2023, 12:32 PM)splinter7612 Wrote: I have an Anderson/Emco full glass storm door, last week we had a wicked rain and wind storm and I guess the door wasn't fully latched so the wind got hold of it and damaged the hinge rail but the door will close with a lot of effort. I went to their website and I can get a new hinge rail for $100, almost half the cost of a new door. I'm wondering if anyone has tried to straighten one of these and was able to fix it, I'm not too optimistic and will probably spring for just the rail.

with aluminum you may need to anneal it first before trying to bend it back to prevent it from cracking;  It work hardens pretty easily.