New Harbor Freight 14” Bandsaw in search of blades
I just purchased a brand new harbor freight 14” four speed floor band saw and I am looking for some suggestions on what blades to look for to purchase.  Blade size on this unit per the instructions are 93-1/2” long x 3/8”w x 0.02” T.  What should I be looking for when I am purchasing some new blades for this new bandsaw?
I like a 1/4 - 6 hook toothed blade. I prefer Timberwolf blades for my 14 inch saw. It is the only blade I use on this saw.  I have a 17 inch Grizzly band saw that I keep a 3/4  Wood Slicer blade from Highland Woodworking on. I like the blade. I do not do a lot of re-sawing, but I do do some. I tend to use it more for just ripping. I sharpen it with a die grinder. Like I said I do not do a lot of re-sawing but I have a friend that has a 1/2 wood slicer blade for his 1940s model, 14 inch Delta and he loves it. I have seen his results and I am not afraid to recommend it for a 14 inch saw. If John can get good results then any one can.

A 1/2- 3 tooth blade is also a good choice for a resaw blade your saw, especially if you do not do a lot of it.. Again I tend to go with Timberwolf. I tried buying blades off from the shelf at a big box but theywere pure junk. 

I am sure that there are several good blade manufacturers out there, but I have never been disappointed with Timberwolf so I stay with them.

Tom

PS: If you are asking what you should be looking for then I wouldn't be worrying about blade thickness (0.02) I would be more concerned about number if teeth.
Tom's advice is spot on. +1
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I keep multi widths for my MM16. Most all are 3-4 TPI. The wider the blade, I spec less teeth.
I've just got another order from these folks. I've bought from them close to 20 years.

https://www.bandsawbladesdirect.com/
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-31-2023, 11:56 AM)tablesawtom Wrote: I like a 1/4 - 6 hook toothed blade. I prefer Timberwolf blades for my 14 inch saw. It is the only blade I use on this saw.  I have a 17 inch Grizzly band saw that I keep a 3/4  Wood Slicer blade from Highland Woodworking on. I like the blade. I do not do a lot of re-sawing, but I do do some. I tend to use it more for just ripping. I sharpen it with a die grinder. Like I said I do not do a lot of re-sawing but I have a friend that has a 1/2 wood slicer blade for his 1940s model, 14 inch Delta and he loves it. I have seen his results and I am not afraid to recommend it for a 14 inch saw. If John can get good results then any one can.

A 1/2- 3 tooth blade is also a good choice for a resaw blade your saw, especially if you do not do a lot of it.. Again I tend to go with Timberwolf. I tried buying blades off from the shelf at a big box but theywere pure junk. 

I am sure that there are several good blade manufacturers out there, but I have never been disappointed with Timberwolf so I stay with them.

Tom

PS: If you are asking what you should be looking for then I wouldn't be worrying about blade thickness (0.02) I would be more concerned about number if teeth.

Thanks Tom!  Much appreciated bud!  I will take a look at the Timberwolf blades.
(12-31-2023, 02:33 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I keep multi widths for my MM16. Most all are 3-4 TPI. The wider the blade, I spec less teeth.
I've just got another order from these folks. I've bought from them close to 20 years.

Awesome thank you.
(12-31-2023, 02:33 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I keep multi widths for my MM16. Most all are 3-4 TPI. The wider the blade, I spec less teeth.

What speed should I be setting my bandsaw at?  ergo placement of the belts?  I know I have a few options and I am not sure what is best or does it depend on wood thickness and type of wood too?
(01-08-2024, 07:36 PM)Johnny Currado Wrote: What speed should I be setting my bandsaw at?  ergo placement of the belts?  I know I have a few options and I am not sure what is best or does it depend on wood thickness and type of wood too?

For wood I've always seen around 3000 feet/minute for small band saws. I guess if I were resawing and the motor was straining I'd select a lower speed and the attendant slower feed speed. Blades, lots of people are happy with Lenox and they're available from different sources. If you want something that may last longer consider bimetal blades. Diemaster II seems pretty popular even though that blade isn't intended primarily for cutting wood - it still works pretty well and it reputed to last about 5 times longer than common steel blades.
(01-09-2024, 11:08 AM)kurt18947 Wrote: For wood I've always seen around 3000 feet/minute for small band saws. I guess if I were resawing and the motor was straining I'd select a lower speed and the attendant slower feed speed. Blades, lots of people are happy with Lenox and they're available from different sources. If you want something that may last longer consider bimetal blades. Diemaster II seems pretty popular even though that blade isn't intended primarily for cutting wood - it still works pretty well and it reputed to last about 5 times longer than common steel blades.

awesome bud.  Thanks for the information on the blades and speed too.  Much appreciated.
I used to have that HF bandsaw, and I won't hesitate to say that it did run smoother than the Delta bandsaw that replaced it.

As far as blades go, I too use and been happy with Timberwolf blades.