A spoke shave next? Why? Which one?
I have one flat spokeshave.

I'd rather command a good heavy rasp than a spokeshave, then clean it up with a card scraper.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

To the OP,
The spokeshaves are a specialty plane. You can find lots of free articles on the net such as this one by Sellers -https://commonwoodworking.com/spokeshave-guide/

They're a joy to use just like any other planes, but you need to learn their tricks, and have projects (mostly curve cuts) to benefit from them. Otherwise, it's just another paper weight in your shop.

Simon
(01-09-2024, 03:48 AM)bandit571 Wrote: IF the OP really wants to try out a spokeshave..I'll send him a Stanley spokeshave....since it is a spare and all I would need is an Address to mail it to.  

Currently, I have 2 Seymour Smith & Son Spokeshaves I always use....I can refresh the edge on the Stanley one, and have it IN the mail....

I'd have to go and check out what Model Number it is....will do that later today..

Hey man, I'll gladly take you up on this.  I'll send you my address.  Let me know what I owe you and how you want it sent.
Semper fi,
Brad

A Stanley No. 51....Just paying it forward..
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Thank you!

I can't even count all the times I've been given a tool or given away a tool to help somebody else.  It's the circle of life.
Semper fi,
Brad

A Padded Envelope will arrive Saturday at your Mail Box...
(01-08-2024, 09:05 AM)ajkoontz Wrote: useful/ why? - it depends. Spokeshave wasn't a game changer for me, but it is very handy to have. I'm getting into building chairs, and for that they are indispensable, but for mostly flat work I can't make a compelling case to get one. If you're a WW without a lathe (like me) and occasionally want to make square things round (or round-ish) then a spokeshave is pretty handy to have around.

which one?- This is a little easier to answer. #1 Paul Sellars has a pretty good video on YT talking about which one to buy and why. I'll add my 2 cents. Absolute best spokeshave you can get right now, IMO, is the Veritas flat bottom. It's based on the 151 (adjustment mechanism), and a flat bottom is a good spokeshave to have if you only have one. Second best bet, get a vintage 151, or copy. Stay with the 151 version as the two adjustment screws are the way to go. These average around $50 on ebay, etc. You may be able to find one cheaper, but good luck, it seems to me the prices on these have gone up. I used to see them for $10-$15 all day long at fleas, but haven't seen a decent one this low for quite a while. Third option is look at Taylor Tools 151 clone, around $25 on Amazon. The fit and finish is not as good on these as a vintage, but it's a decent budget option if you want to try one out and see if you like spokeshaves in general. I bought one of these for my son, so he'll keep his mitts off my Veritas. Again, the Veritas is my favorite, by far. One of the things I like best is the thick blade, which makes it easier for me to freehand sharpen. The 151's have pretty thin blades and they are too short to fit in a jig so they can be a bit fussy to sharpen. I also like the round/ wood handles on the Veritas as they are more ergonomic to me.
Of all the spokeshaves I have, my favorite by far is the Stanley #53, with the adjustable throat...they're just a joy to use...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Stanley No. 51 is out for Delivery, Today....
Got it yesterday.  Thank you!
Semper fi,
Brad

Threads like this is what makes WW'ing a great community.
Good on you Bandit. Happy everything worked out for OP.
If you continue to cut corners, you'll end up going in circles!

It's my thumb so I'll hit it if I want to!