A Clock of my own design
Thanks for the generous comments, everyone.  My wife says I have more patience than most anyone, which certainly is helpful on a project like this turned out to be.  Truth be told, however, I am very impatient, but once a project gets under my skin I usually see it through.  And I'm glad I did on this one.  As I write this the clock sits across the room moving silently back and forth, fascinating and hypnotic.  

If anyone wondered how the bob could weigh 3 lbs, this is how:

[Image: ABLVV86jUSEsc3uQVffDSmpdMOigtUZBx07UbPoZ...authuser=1]

No 9 birdshot.  The hands are balanced the same way.  

John
That's an amazing looking clock. You should be very proud of yourself. I'm sure you will grin from ear to ear every time someone asks, "who made this?"
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
wow, really amazing work!
I’m always amazed by jten’s work. A true master!
That's awesome!!! Great job!!! That is way too much work for the likes of me. Coming to Ikea for Christmas 2024. LOL

Edit: I just realized that this posts is over 2 weeks old... Times have really changed, I used to be much more active on WN and keep up with content. 
Yes
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
(01-11-2024, 09:25 PM)jteneyck Wrote: During my investigations into different escapement mechanisms I found that one called the grasshopper is exceeding quiet.  It was developed by John Harrison, a brilliant English clock maker who developed the first clock that could keep time accurately at see, which solved the longitude problem that had plagued sailers since man started sailing across the open ocean.  Harrison started as a woodworker, so there's hope for the rest of us wood butchers.  

There is a clock museum in Greenwich, England that covers his design (among other things).  I went there years ago with my wife and a good friend.  The good friend and I (both engineers) spent like 3-4 hours going through the tiny museum.  We found it fascinating.  My wife, while she liked it, wasn't 3-4 hours enthralled and vowed to never go to a small technical museum with either of us again 
Laugh

The clock looks awesome.   Wonderful job.

(02-01-2024, 03:01 PM)msweig Wrote: There is a clock museum in Greenwich, England that covers his design (among other things).  I went there years ago with my wife and a good friend.  The good friend and I (both engineers) spent like 3-4 hours going through the tiny museum.  We found it fascinating.  My wife, while she liked it, wasn't 3-4 hours enthralled and vowed to never go to a small technical museum with either of us again 
Laugh

The clock looks awesome.   Wonderful job.

Thanks very much.  I have never had a great interest in going to London, but I would love to go to that museum.  The work that Harrison did is amazing, and humbling.  I'm an engineer, too.  

John