This turning forum is mostly dead
I agree - the traffic on WN has died down considerably since I joined many moons ago.  From reading the forums all these years, and as a hobbiest at best, this site, ie, the responses I have gotten from members has gotten me out of many woodworking jams and mistakes.  I don't post pictures cause quite frankly my work is not as good as what I see others post here.  Would love to see the traffic pick up here. Would love to see the woodturning section pick up for sure, as I am a fairly new woodturner.  Long live WN!!
(01-17-2024, 02:29 PM)AHill Wrote: Arlin,

WoodNet isn't the only woodworking forum that's out there, so there's still places to learn.  Lumberjocks and Sawmill Creek are two of the larger forums that have a lot more activity than WN and actually (more recently) have more experts posting to learn from compared to WN.

I was part of LumberJocks for a few years and did not like it to much.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(01-17-2024, 02:52 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I was part of LumberJocks for a few years and did not like it to much.

FWIW, I think that the information on Sawmill Creek is very good, but I find their website very clunky and not easy to use.
(01-16-2024, 10:31 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: and I am thinking if it does not pick up it might get gone.

What do you think?  I might be talking to myself tho. 
Raised

Many of us were 'way more active back in the '90s but now mostly lurk rather than jump in.  However, please see my post in Power Tools about my lathe problem where help would be appreciated.
I used to post a lot more here, but now my woodturning is on hiatus since I moved from Hawaii so I post infrequently. My shop went from 1200 sqft down to 300 sqft. Kind of sad, but have to look after family first.
I look at WoodNet everyday, though.
VH07V  
Bug 
(01-16-2024, 05:19 PM)AHill Wrote: It's not just the Turning forum.  It's all of them.  As of the time i'm posting this, there are only 2 or 3 of the Forums that have more than 20 people viewing.  Compare that to Sawmill Creek, where there are 57 viewing on their Turning Forum, 114 viewers in the Neanderthal (Hand Tools) Forum, and over 900 in General Woodworking.  WoodNet is dying a slow death.  They've kind of done it to themselves.  Lack of policing members who had nothing better to do than criticize world class woodworkers, a change in software several years ago that had a lot of bugs, and just woodworking as a hobby in general decline.  i am seriously considering leaving WN.  I don't learn a lot here anymore.

Allen has stated my thoughts on the matter.

And, I don't understand why Admin is not willing to fix this software. At times yea, I'm ready to vacate. But I keep plugging on, trying to keep the workbench thread active.

I think everyone needs to step and post more, and, often!
I do understand that life gets in the way.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Oh and those that post their tool and wood problems, hot water tank woes, those need to post in the correct forums or the mods move them. That would help the general forums out somewhat.
Anywhere else those posts wouldn't be allowed in off topic.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-17-2024, 02:52 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I was part of LumberJocks for a few years and did not like it to much.

Arlin, LJ changed it's software a year or 2 ago.. If it was the software that you didn't like (that was my problem over there) you might check in again and see if you are more satisfied with it. I should mention a lot of the senior LJ members were really upset with the change, I think it was huge improvement. The membership has skyrocketed since they changed it.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I am way more active on the FB turning pages
If it don't hold soup, it's ART!!

Dry Creek Woodturning

Yah I do not have a FB account and really do not want one.  They do say if you want to sell things to create an account.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.