4 jaw chuck
Am looking to buy a new 4 jaw chuck system and don't know alot about the different ones out there.  I currently have the PSI one and am looking to get an upgrade from that.  It is my birthday the end of the month so I am ok to spend (or have spent) for a good quality one.  Is it personal preference?  What are you using and are you pleased with it?  One way?  Record?  Vicmarc?  Nova?  Thanks in advance for any advice you may offer.
My thoughts on the matter:

I tried a Super Nova II and liked it enough that I've bought 3 more over the years. There are times I need (or at least want) chucks on both the headstock and tailstock of both lathes, all at the same time. Because I use my chucks in several places, being able to change the insert to fit the next location has been a big benefit to me. Your mileage may vary, of course.

As I understand it, Nova and Record Power are pretty similar.

If there is a chance You'll turn really big stuff, you might want to think about a big Vicmarc VM150.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
(01-17-2024, 03:24 PM)SceneryMaker Wrote: My thoughts on the matter:

I tried a Super Nova II and liked it enough that I've bought 3 more over the years.  There are times I need (or at least want) chucks on both the headstock and tailstock of both lathes, all at the same time.  Because I use my chucks in several places, being able to change the insert to fit the next location has been a big benefit to me.  Your mileage may vary, of course.

As I understand it, Nova and Record Power are pretty similar.

If there is a chance You'll turn really big stuff, you might want to think about a big Vicmarc VM150.

What he said both are good chucks  You did not mention the size of your threaded headstock but here is what I use

I like the stainless steel ones by Axminister which I just got this one along with the eccentric one as well.

https://www.thewoodturningstore.com/axmi...ct-thread/

What I like it has the the jaws, wood screw and faceplate which all fit in the jaws.

Hope to see what you make in the future!
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(01-17-2024, 05:41 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: What he said both are good chucks  You did not mention the size of your threaded headstock but here is what I use

I like the stainless steel ones by Axminister which I just got this one along with the eccentric one as well.

https://www.thewoodturningstore.com/axmi...ct-thread/

What I like it has the the jaws, wood screw and faceplate which all fit in the jaws.

Hope to see what you make in the future!
Yes
Thank you, Arlin.  I have a 1 1/4" threaded headstock.
(01-18-2024, 07:39 AM)fptahoe Wrote: Thank you, Arlin.  I have a 1 1/4" threaded headstock.

What lathe do you have?

About 7 years ago the guys here helped me get the PM3520b or I had to stop turning.  So good of all my friends here who help me and the vets
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

(01-19-2024, 01:42 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: What lathe do you have?

About 7 years ago the guys here helped me get the PM3520b or I had to stop turning.  So good of all my friends here who help me and the vets

I have the Robust AB.  Probably more than I need but I fell in love with it, saved my money, and went with that one.  

How are you liking your PM3520b?  I liked that machine alot when I was shopping, but many reviews talked about them being bought out by some company and their quality and customer service have really suffered.  I sincerely hope that is not the case with yours, or the brand for that matter.  The gold standard should remain the gold standard.
The old one came with a bad inverter which was made by delta and with age all of them failed or most of them anyway.  Plus the customer service stank when I tried to get ahold of them many times and after filing a complaint with BBB they finally contacted me.

Frank helped me get a new inverter and programmed it as well.