20" Rip saw wanted
Been looking for a 18" or 20" panel saw filed for rip.  I can find plenty of 18 and 20s filed cross cut but the rip filed are rare.  Not far enough in my hand tool journey to change the geometry on a saw plate.  I usually cruise Jim Bode Tools, Hyperkitten, and Union Hill Antique Tools. But no luck.  There is a set of 20" LNs, rip and cross cut, on Ebay the guy only wants $550 each
Big Grin  Any suggestions or better yet anybody have one they want to part with.  Looking for good user, I'm not a collector by any means, despite what my wife thinks.
Since you're looking for a proper saw, you will have to learn to sharpen one sooner rather than later, so look for a cheap cross cut saw on your favourite junk site or in local junk shops or garage sales and have at it with a saw file. It is about the easiest shaping and sharpening you can do. Needed teeth per inch will depend on what thickness of material you will mostly be cutting. Either find a very coarse cross cut or one with double the tooth count you need: this way you can use the existing teeth to guide your filing.
Remember, just like sharpening anything else, it doesn't need to be perfect to work, and you'll very quickly get better.
Make your wood sing!
Lee Valley sells Pax 22" panel saws filed both rip and crosscut for $129 each.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(01-30-2024, 01:36 PM)Bryan F. Wrote: Been looking for a 18" or 20" panel saw filed for rip.  I can find plenty of 18 and 20s filed cross cut but the rip filed are rare. 

I have a nice 9ppi 18" saw listed for sale on my website. It is currently filed crosscut, but I can convert it to rip in short order. If that one doesn't tickle your fancy, I have several others awaiting sharpening.

Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
(01-30-2024, 01:36 PM)Bryan F. Wrote: Been looking for a 18" or 20" panel saw filed for rip.  I can find plenty of 18 and 20s filed cross cut but the rip filed are rare.  Not far enough in my hand tool journey to change the geometry on a saw plate.  I usually cruise Jim Bode Tools, Hyperkitten, and Union Hill Antique Tools. But no luck.  There is a set of 20" LNs, rip and cross cut, on Ebay the guy only wants $550 each
Big Grin  Any suggestions or better yet anybody have one they want to part with.  Looking for good user, I'm not a collector by any means, despite what my wife thinks.

What TPI are you looking for?
Rick
My option was to buy a nice 28" D7 rip off eBay and cut the blade down to 20" with a metal chop saw and just radius the corner with a grinder. I have big hands so having the old style handle with thumb hole is great.
(01-30-2024, 07:16 PM)RickW Wrote: What TPI are you looking for?
Rick

8 or 9?  I have a D23 with a 26" plate that is 5 1/2 TPI and a D7 (I believe) 26 1/2" plate at 6 1/2 TPI.  Both are difficult to rip thin stock with at the bench.  They work great on thicker stock from saw benches.  I have an 11 TPI tenon saw but you cant rip very far with that 
Winkgrin.
(01-30-2024, 06:18 PM)enjuneer Wrote: I have a nice 9ppi 18" saw listed for sale on my website. It is currently filed crosscut, but I can convert it to rip in short order. If that one doesn't tickle your fancy, I have several others awaiting sharpening.

Nice site, you are not helping my tool addiction. That is the size I'm looking for. I think you've helped me solve my problem.
(01-30-2024, 01:54 PM)Steve Hamlin Wrote: Since you're looking for a proper saw, you will have to learn to sharpen one sooner rather than later, so look for a cheap cross cut saw on your favourite junk site or in local junk shops or garage sales and have at it with a saw file. It is about the easiest shaping and sharpening you can do. Needed teeth per inch will depend on what thickness of material you will mostly be cutting. Either find a very coarse cross cut or one with double the tooth count you need: this way you can use the existing teeth to guide your filing.
Remember, just like sharpening anything else, it doesn't need to be perfect to work, and you'll very quickly get better.

I've seen a few that are pretty cheap/rough, about $20 at the local flea market.  I'll pick up one to practice on.
I win't mention the matched pair of Wenzlof half back saws, one CC the other rip. Barely touched wood (Mike specially made the pair for me, along with his interpretation of a #16 CC).
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com