Dovetail Saw
I have an old 10" dovetail saw, 15tpi, with a steel back and the only markings is W. Germany stamped on the spine.  The saw is in pretty decent condition, no deep rust or pitting although the teeth definitely need reshaping/sharpening.

Anyony know anything about these saws?  It certainly doesn't look to be a quality saw, if nothing else a good saw to learn refiling on.

Attached Files Image(s)

(02-07-2024, 06:30 PM)BC in CT Wrote: I have an old 10" dovetail saw, 15tpi, with a steel back and the only markings is W. Germany stamped on the spine.  The saw is in pretty decent condition, no deep rust or pitting although the teeth definitely need reshaping/sharpening.

Anyony know anything about these saws?  It certainly doesn't look to be a quality saw, if nothing else a good saw to learn refiling on.

I don't know who made the saw but the "W" very likely means the saw was made in West Germany after the end of WWII when Germany became separated between the Communist Russian controlled East and the Allied controlled West..Tools etc. made in West Germany were branded in that manner...The "W" was dropped after it became unified again...I have forgotten what year that was but I think it was under President Reagan.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(02-07-2024, 09:29 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: The "W" was dropped after it became unified again...I have forgotten what year

Yes after reunion in 1990 the West wasn't uses any longer, but sure lots of Stock.

You can buy saws like thees for the equivalent of 5-10 USD.
Most of them have quite thick blades 0.020 " and up.
The teeth used to be staamped but not filed at all. Too much set was usual, too.

The German word is Feinsäge wich can be translated with fine saw.
Dovetails should be cut with a much bigger frame saw - according to the Tischler / Schreiner rules.

Cheers
Pedder
Would the Brand name be either Estes..or Eclipse?

seems to be a knock off of..

The bigger of these 2 saw...a Disston No. 68?  Except mine is 9ppi, filed Rip...

I also have one filed crosscut...

One for each type of cut?

Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Thanks guys for the history time line, so this looks to be a good candidate to build some sharpening skills. I would also like to find an old Disston no. 4 as well.